Fat Club - Tuesday 20th

21 to 27 of 27 messages
20/08/2002 at 19:08
V-Rap, your reply confirmed what I suspected - still, back just after I had mini RM, they said I was 35%!!! Now I'm back to a little more healthy 27% according to them that is. When I had the testing done at Adidas headquarters, they used the callipers and it came out as 21% - the scales at the time were saying 25%!
I think the clothes fit and wobble test are the best of all. It's too easy to get seduced by the numbers and scared by them too.
20/08/2002 at 19:26
Nic, how could you have had a weekend of failure when it included a run and a bike ride? You had a successful weekend with a bit of a hiccup. It's soooo not good to get scared of the scales. A few pounds up here and down there are nothing. It's the over-all long term picture that counts.

Nattynoodle, I simply cannot believe that you have put on 8lb in 2 weeks. How much alcohol/food/strange weight gaining substance did you ingest? It takes 3500 cals over your daily requirement to put on 1lb. You'd have had to be putting away 140,000 more calories over your normal amount per week. That's like 466 mars bars!!! Also 17% is v healthy indeed. That's not to say you can't join in if you so feel like it.

Michelle, !!!!!!!! What can I say? I really admire anyone who can teach the early teenage years. Full respect.

I got on the wrong train tonight with mini RM when she was tired, thirsty and hungry and we ran out of water - luckily I had some food on me for her. She was really whingeing and wanted to crawl round on the floor which she obviously couldn't. I had to spend 2 plus hours trying to be inventive to keep her amused with a few plasters and my purse. I was so hoping she'd fall asleep so I could enjoy a Magnum in peace and quiet. She didn't fall asleep so I've been cruelly denied - maybe I'll pop out to the shops later.

She, the running with friends thing makes SUCH a difference, the miles go so quickly. I'd never really ran with anyone before this year as most of my close friends are much slower than me and mister RM and people in my running club were too fast. Now I've got 2 friends who I run with twice a week and do one or two runs by myself. The time to myself is nice too - they're both good in different ways.
20/08/2002 at 20:05
Well, went to gym straight from work tonight, am I the only person who finds it mind numbing boring ? I have practically got to force each footstep to the door, and then when I am in, all I want to do is turn around and get out, maybe just having a bad gym time. Anyway, after all the drink and over eating at the weekend... I managed to lose 1lb. So I am pretty chuffed, now to get rid of the other 13 ....
I should probably try abstaining from the alcohol, see if it makes a difference..
Nic
20/08/2002 at 20:46
Well i went for a run tonight.. ANd i managed to run for 15mins without stopping..

I am well chuffed, But the return leg i had to walk after 5mins but only for 30 secs then i was able to finish the distance without stopping. i did 10 mins of stretching. Hope that was enough. It felt like it was. So mayeb my bad weekend was just refueling......

Nic
20/08/2002 at 21:38
Daisy --um, I used to find it mind numbingly boring but since I started running again it's a little different because I'm a concentrator rather than a chatterer. I offered a complimentary gift pass to a colleague from work a couple of weeks ago and I'm really hoping he doesn't decide to join my gym because he generally goes to his gym when I go to mine (I went on a similar guest pass to his gym) and anyway, he never shuts up. I told him he wasn't working hard enough! Seriously, it puts me off concentrating especially on the treadmill... I get that dreaded treadmill nausea at the start and end so I have to keep on track. Besides, don't they have TV's and music at your gym..?! Alot of people I see coming in take head phones and CD's!!
20/08/2002 at 22:06
Well done, Nic. Sounds like you're well over that bad weekend now!

Daisy, I often find the gym mind-numbingly boring too and have had to use all sorts of (non-food!) tricks and bribes to keep myself on the treadmill or elliptical cross trainer (the bike and steppy are less of a problem because I can read on them). I've just joined a gym with television and radio channels on tap, which helps. And I enjoy doing the resistance machines.

Aeons ago, when I first came aboard the old forums, I posted something to the effect that the treadmill was boring, and one of the responses was a tactful version of "if it's boring, you're not pushing yourself hard enough". I think, for me, there was more than a grain of truth in that.

Cath, you definitely don't want that fellow in the gym with you. Imagine being labelled as the girl who's always with that bloke who thinks the machines are for sitting on to have a drink and a chat. I quite enjoy a gossip (ran almost a mile at 5.5mph without noticing it when one of the staff came over to chat about the GNR while I was on the treadmill) but most of the time, like you, it's head down and serious sweating.

Cheers, V-rap.
21/08/2002 at 00:45
Hi Running Muppet and All,

We did drink a hell of a lot whilst away, this was probably caused because for two weeks we were within 3kms of Faliraki, but bot was it good ;) Also for the first time in years I was actually eating two meals per day (as they were included), whereas normally I just eat one, sometimes!

Anyway, I have been trying to get it off this week, have run 8.2 miles Sunday, race pace 4 miles Monday and 11.5 miles tonight, so we will see what I weigh tomorrow, I hope it is good news!

Best Wishes, Paul

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.