Fat Club - Wednesday 21st

21 to 33 of 33 messages
21/08/2002 at 16:03
Ahh well, my speed training tonight is no longer on. Fell off my bike, across the gravel into the hedge, much to the amusement of the motorists, my knee is like an over sized, over ripe plum and I have scratches from the bushes all over my leg and arm. Had to cycle a further 18 mile with a dried in stream of blood from knee to ankle. Ho bloody hum
Didn't stop me eating when I got back though.. I think it was a wee bit of comfort food :-)
21/08/2002 at 16:16
Poor you Daisy. Hope you didn't have your Dukes of Hazzard extra short shorts on and managed to retain a degree of dignity! I think you're entitled to some comfort eating and maybe an ice pack for the knee.
She
21/08/2002 at 16:18
Oh no Daisy, what a disaster. Heres hoping you have a speedy recovery. Reckon all these bike miles mean yummy comfort food is fine for this evening.
21/08/2002 at 16:31
You poor thing, Daisy! I hope you heal up quickly. Maybe your body was telling you, in a rather dramatic way, that it didn't fancy doing speed sessions on top of a 30 mile bike ride.

Lamb, celery sticks may be better than we realised. I was firmly put in my place this morning when I told one of my diabetic patients that her blood pressure was on the high side. "Your machine must be wrong," she said. "It's been proved by research done by an English doctor that if you eat four sticks of celery a day you will never have blood pressure problems, and I always eat four sticks of celery every day." She's even promised to lend me the book that says so to prove her point. I await with interest...
21/08/2002 at 16:34
Hmmm, sounds dubious, 4 sticks of celery... and 10 pork pies, 4 cream eclairs, 34 choc chip cookies...!!! The machine don't lie, honey!!

Mine is usually high the first time they do it as I HATE having it done and get really stressed, then they do it again and it's fine! I have to force myself to relax!
21/08/2002 at 16:37
Ouch, Daisy. That sounds a nasty one. Chocolate is very good for shock, I believe. :-)

V-rap - maybe if she ONLY ate 4 sticks of celery, and nothing else, she would have no blood pressure at all...........? I'm trying to convince my very overweight Mum that having an ice cream, bar of chocolate and a bag of crisps every day isn't helping her weight problem, and that eating them just after a meal (sort of as a pudding) doesn't stop them being a snack.
21/08/2002 at 16:37
So it must be true, if its written down in black and white then.
21/08/2002 at 16:39
FAT LAMBS GET TURNED INTO CHOPS...FAT LAMBS GET TURNED INTO CHOPS...FAT LAMBS...
21/08/2002 at 16:55
Your mum sounds like mine, Nessie, although I have to give my mum massive credit for finally getting to grips with the fact that her little round mother and her little round aunties all got diabetes and an early trip to the cemetery, and her little round cousins are all getting diabetes and heart disease, and doing something about her little round self instead of pretending that the cakes in the house are for the grandchildren, who visit about 4 times a year and aren't very interested in cakes.

I didn't ask my patient what she ate apart from the celery, or I'd have got the stock answer of "One half of one chapatti and two little teaspoonfuls of dhal, nothing else, no chevda, no gulab jamans", and then I'd have had to decide whether to smile sweetly or read the Riot Act. And since she's really a rather nice lady, I took the conflict-avoidant route for once.
21/08/2002 at 16:57
V-rap, no surely not! the conflict-avoidant route?! How could you resist?!!
21/08/2002 at 17:15
I'm a little pussycat really, Lamb (I was going to say I was a gentle little lamb, but I can't be coz that's you). Seriously, I don't mind calling a spade a sh*t-shoveller, but only if doing so is likely either to lead to a positive outcome or to make me feel better, and sparring with sweet little old ladies does neither.
Nic
21/08/2002 at 19:30
Hi all,
Just been out for another run, managed 12.30 mins over undulatingz\hilly terrain. then jsut one 30 sec walk on the return leg.

Am i imagining it or is my recovery period improving that quick???? I hope so as i am starting to enjoy running now. Especially this after run glow i have at the moment.

Good luck with the weigh ins today and tomorrow guys and gals

A very happy
Nic
21/08/2002 at 22:02
Hi all,
Well what a day I've had..! Had those nightmare kids again today (30 of the little darlings..).. Final day of their drama workshop (thank the Lord). I had to write/direct/stage a 20 minute play for them to perform in front of their doting parents this afternoon.. boy do I need chocolate NOW!!! But you know what, I have resisted..! Also, I have consumed no alcohol this evening either and, it really would be medicinal tonight methinks! Anyway, I have done no exercise whatsoever since Monday (should be ashamed of myself.. I am, I am!!). I am planning on going on a long run in the morning to try and make up for it. Hope you're all doing ok and hope your leg feels better soon Daisy Duke - poor you.. I did something similar earlier this year when out running. I tripped on a paving stone and went flat on my face in front of a line of cars waiting at the traffic lights. I didn't know whether to feign unconsciousness and lay there until an ambulance arrived to avoid the embarrassment of facing those sniggering car drivers, or to just get up and run like hell for home. I chose the latter, with blood streaming down my little legs. Chose a different route after that...!
Take care all.
Michelle x

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.