Fat Club Thursday 22nd

41 to 55 of 55 messages
22/08/2002 at 16:36
25 , to me thats a whole different generation......
(29 yet again next birthday....)
22/08/2002 at 16:41
I remember that stuff Lamb! I used to love elastics!

22/08/2002 at 16:45
Ah yes but I read somewhere that distance runners peak later than other sportsmen, between 35 and 40...
22/08/2002 at 16:47
I didn't have a sister til I was 8 so I used to put the elastic round 2 chairs at home and play on my own!! And remember those hand clapping games?
22/08/2002 at 16:48
I don't have a sister, but with a bit of bullying, my younger brother worked...
22/08/2002 at 16:50
Elastics have been around an awful long time Lamb. The mention of PE kit sent shudders, grey knickers (with pocket), maroon airtex top, maroon pleated skirt.

And whoever made DM's fashionable should be given a medal, I used to threaten my 3 daughters with the Army and Navy Stores when new school shoes were required, when DM's became the in thing, shopping was a doddle.
22/08/2002 at 16:54
Those PE knickers I'm sure were a humiliation tool, especially for us chubby ones. I loved sport but when it came to gym - arrgh! the trauma is still v fresh!
22/08/2002 at 17:35
Okay - straying ever so slightly back onto the fat subject.... I've had a pretty crappy day today started off well with smoothie of the banana type and then moved swiftly on to crisps and a chocolate eclair that the Mr's Mum brought round with her this afternoon - doing her bit for maintaining my sanity in the longest-week-there-is campaign/ Ah well, this time tomorrow it'll all be over and I'll have nowt to worry about ... except continuing to lose weight :)
22/08/2002 at 17:36
I've been reading this thread this afternoon and thought that perhaps my history might help someone... 5 years ago at a whopping size 24 I decided I had to get a grip and lose some weight. I started by cutting out alcohol and cakes/sweets and by joining a local adults swimming class. On several occasions during the intervening years I reached a plateau where I became stuck for a while. My weight did come off, very slowly indeed and as I became more confident I joined a gym, a fotball team and just 'upped' my exercise levels. For the past few months I have been lucky enough to have a personal trainer at my gym (a present from my husband) and I am a much leaner, fitter person. I don't think I will lose very much more weight but I am a happy and healthy size twelve. I do have a treat every now and then, some chocolate or cake. If I have a bad couple of days I remind myself of how far I have come and of how I can do anything now!
22/08/2002 at 17:39
Gnasher -- wow!! You more or less, halved your size!!! How cool is that! I'm glad you feel better and fitter for it - hopefully that's how I'll feel in the weeks and months to come.
22/08/2002 at 23:11
Gnasher, you're a star! Hang around and stick your story on the forum again every time someone comes along complaining that they can't lose weight for this reason or the other. If you can get from size 24 to size 12, there's definitely nothing you can't do.

I'll bet you can also offer good insight into dealing with the sort of problems that lead to people becoming very overweight in the first place, which is important since finding a way of letting a bit of self-esteem surface is so often the starting point for doing something about a serious weight problem.

Puts my few pounds into perspective...
23/08/2002 at 09:05
I echo that V-Rap, well done Gnasher and I say that from an "also once much larger than I am now person". I've gone from bursting out of my size 16's to a size 8 - 10 (depending on where I shop or whether it's a good day or a not so good day). My aim was to get down to a size 12 and never dreamed that with plenty of exercise (I have a healthy appetite so tend to eat loads, but of the right stuff with occassional treats) that I'd go even further. It took me a year in all to shed the 4 stone, so not even 2lb a week, but it came off slow but sure and all the while the scales dropped (and sometimes they didn't) I didn't mind, they were going in the right direction!
23/08/2002 at 16:28
awwww thanks!
23/08/2002 at 16:49
Thanks for that really inspiring story Caz -I have 3 stone to lose after losing 4 stone in the last year.
Although I am alot smaller than I used to be I want to be slimmer. I love running and my motivation for losing the rest of the weight is so that I can run faster.
23/08/2002 at 16:59
Polarbear, very well done and the very best of luck with the rest, just never give up. It's all about changing lifestyle's and not dieting, that's how my weight kept coming off because I wasn't doing anything faddy or silly.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 55 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.