Fat Club Thursday 3/10

1 to 20 of 41 messages
03/10/2002 at 08:21
Morning everyone.

Haven't been around much lately, busy cobbling together PFI deals <Satanic cackling in background>.

Just read last night's posts. Hope everyone is feeling a bit more cheerful this morning.

Porridge for breakfast, now I have a cappucino.

EP, programing is fun - just learn to enjoy it.
03/10/2002 at 08:26
Morning Glenn, you just beat me to it!

Benz, I bet you're a lovely doctor. I was a nurse, in the days when I had a proper job, and used to get so upset at the way some so-called professionals treated the patients. It was the reason I left, really. So keep at it girl. We need more like you.

Can we all forget about weight? Daft question, as this is the fat club, but I'm just aware how much trimmer and slimmer I look since resuming running, although I haven't lost a pound. I bet you lot all look lovely, whatever you weigh!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/10/2002 at 08:28
Morning Glenn! Programming? Fun? Not too sure about that! I mean I'm having to program n old languages too (for those that are interested ... Pascal, Haskell, Prolog and Java (Ok I know Java is new!) and all 4 of these in 15 wks!)
On a brighter side ... been good so far this morning and have my fruit again! Not sure about running today but I have my kit incase I do!
WildWill    pirate
03/10/2002 at 08:37
Glenn - I also do a lot of work on PFI stuff - don't it just do your head in.

EP - I much prefered programming to what I do now - I started out as a machine code games programmer in the early 80's then moved on through -forth-pascal-visual basic-delphi-java etc etc along with a few more obscure ones

Will
The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/10/2002 at 08:40
I prefer pulling computers apart and networking stuff! But "programming paradigms" is on the course so .... :-(
03/10/2002 at 09:21
Morning all,
Had very good intentions when I got up this morning, but sadly none of it has come to fruition as I am still here in my dressing gown..!!! Got tons of housework to do (boring...!), then I am going for a nice run in the rain.
Susie Redhead - well done for entering the Brighton 10K and hope you're feeling a bit better today! I intend to be good today - mind you, I 'intend' to be good every day, just that most of the time it doesn't happen! Got the Southend 10K on Sunday.. Hope you all have a good day.
Michelle x
Mij
03/10/2002 at 09:24
Hi - I'm Mij and I drank too much last night.

Oops wrong thread. Hi I'm Mij and I'm still fat. Actually according to my machine (which V-Rap will tell me is wrong anyway) my body has gone from 1/3rd to 1/4 fat.

Programming - gave it up in 1981 - now if only it was as easy to give up alcohol.
03/10/2002 at 09:29
Good morning, all!

Benz, I'm SO pleased to be reminded that you high-tech hospital docs get tangled up in patient advocacy too! Except I'm more likely to be suggesting to someone on the phone at Officially The Worst Social Services Department In England that I'm sure the Secretary of State will be very interested in their attitude towards old folk at risk of abuse - or towards their own staff. With little effect, since as I write the at-risk old person is still at the tender mercies of his wife and the staff member looks like she's going to have to go to an employment tribunal when all he wanted was a bit of support from her management six months ago. What a waste!

Just realised I've got a new batch of tudents toorrow. What fun! So frantically scrabbling around trying to find patients who aren't suffering from student-fatigue to see them. Difficult when most of the students are boys, they need two pregnant women each to follow up, and most of my current cohort of pregnant women are Muslim.

Got adequately fed at meeting last night (though no pudding, and not even a cup of coffee) but was suffering from twitchy legs for most of the day as a result of tapering for GNR. Planning a shortish run this afternoon and some weights later. Saw a patient last night who has joined the same gym as me with a view to doing a marathon for charity, having never run before. That's two converts in a week. Yesssss!

Time to work. Sounds quiet in the waiting room. Typical - patients just melt away during the medical school term. After all these years as a teaching practice, they have learned how to avoid the students. Pity they aren't so keen to learn things like "One appointment = one patient, not one extended family" and "Do not ask Dr V-rap to recommend an iridologist".
WildWill    pirate
03/10/2002 at 09:33
What's a iridologist?
03/10/2002 at 09:40
Will
I just looked it up and found an intersting website "Confessions of a former iridologist" http://www.mather.infomedia.com/reality/confessions.html
Thanks V-rap, you have once more helped decrease the depths of my ignorance:-)
WildWill    pirate
03/10/2002 at 09:43
Pasta… Pasta… Pasta…

I think I’m starting to look like pasta

Sunday evening, Monday lunch, Monday evening, Tuesday Lunch, Wednesday evening and today for lunch – all pasta (plus I’ve hard rice 2 or 3 times)

I have a habit of making too much for my evening meal, so I take a large portion to work for lunch the next day.

Today’s is a rather nice, fresh pasta stuffed with Italian sausage in a home made tomato and basil sauce with added stuffed olives and feta cheese :o)

Will
03/10/2002 at 09:52
Oooooh...pasta.

I haven't had any since Monday lunchtime. Must remedy the situation tonight. Decisions, decisions - which shape? I buy all of the fancy shaped pastas "for the kids", but secretly like them myself. Got some fantastic huge multicoloured pasta snail-shell things from a scoop-and-bag shop in Barmouth. Definitely my favourite so far.
03/10/2002 at 10:06
Morning all,

Felt good this morning when I got up but it seems to be going downhill rapidly. Went to get elderly mother up and was nearly knocked over by the smell of toilet-type things in her bedroom! Yuck. Had to locate the area (or in this case areas) of bed/carpet affected and then use appropriate disinfectant. The cats then decided to add to my urine/pooh experience by totally missing their litter tray - it looked as if one of them had done a projectile pooh all nice and sloppy. Mmm aren't you glad I shared this with you?! I always laugh at what the comedian Jack Dee said about old people which was "if you are allowed to smack children then you should be allowed to smack old people too because they can be just as irritating". Helps keep me sane in the world of geriatric care!

V-rap and Wild Will are you getting carbed-up for the GNR? I'm going to watch it on telly so make sure you wear your URWFRC vests and let me know your numbers. Anyone else on here doing it?

I got a certificate for the Great South Run this morning which did cheer me up. Apparently in my vets category I came in at 104 out of 184 runners so I was well pleased. Not bad for a wobbly old redhead! Only thing was, the winner of my age group was 1 year older than me and ran it in 40 minutes less!

So far I 've managed a nice healthy smoothy for brekkie but can't promise to keep this up if the stress levels mount.
03/10/2002 at 10:16
EP, just seen you on the Brighton 10k - just do it - then you'll have something to aim for and it's a good flat course. I applied on-line. I won't be breaking any records so don't worry about being slow or at the back or anything.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/10/2002 at 10:19
Redhead ... Officialy I was 2nd last at my local with a time of 1:24:30!! I would like to do it, but it might me cold!!
03/10/2002 at 10:19
Oh Susie - what a start to the day!! Surely, it can only get better from now on!!! Loved the Jack Dee quote!! If ever a day was made for chocolate, it's today!! You deserve it - definitely. I might have a bit too, just to support you..!!! My nutty Siamese cats enjoy being sick everywhere - they do it on purpose, I'm sure! They're not too bad with the poo, but sometimes miss the litter tray. Shankley, I think has claustrophobia, as their litter tray has a 'hood' thing on top, he doesn't like that and so only puts half his body inside it - with obvious consequences... oh dear.. where's that chocolate!!!
Michelle xx
The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/10/2002 at 10:20
WW pasta is good! I love pasta .. I could easily live off pasta and jacket potatoes!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/10/2002 at 10:23
Chocolate is very good too!
03/10/2002 at 10:25
I could live off sherry trifle - for breakfast, lunch and dinner... or, alternatively, Tirimisu..YUM!
Michelle x
WildWill    pirate
03/10/2002 at 10:27
Dogs - no need for litter trays
1 to 20 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.