Feels like a 'twanging' at the back of my knee!

4 messages
28/07/2012 at 10:23

Hi There Fellow Runners!

I need some advice but due to my lack of knowledge of the human anatomy I'm finding it difficult to even describe my symptoms!

I think its either a ligament or tendon at the back of my knee, possibly what links my hamstring with the inside of the knee? In a seating position, this tendon/ligament is towards the inside leg and almost makes a right angle triangle join between the upper & lower parts of my knee.

Well anyway, the problem started whilst training for a 1/2 marathon earlier in the year but was intermittent to begin with - I found knee supports helped and the discomfort would fade after the 1st km or so. I ran the 1/2 marathon fine and was ok for the 1st few weeks after. However the problem became more frequent and over the past 2 weeks it has now become constant every time I run.

Its not a painful sensation but its certainly uncomfortable and is more offputting than anything. The only way I can describe it is a clicking or twanging of this muscle. I went for a run last night and after 2km of constant twanging I had to stop - this morning I can feel it twanging when I walk!

Any ideas people? The thought of being unable to run, even for a few weeks depresses me so looking to pinpoint the problem and get treatment ASAP!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

03/08/2012 at 16:43

I am getting something similar but it's more inside my knee like something clicking / catching.  Knee bandage definately helping, but as you say it's off putting!  Sorry don't know more than that!

03/08/2012 at 20:42

Hi Lucienne

I got some advice from a friend which allowed me to do some research - I've been reading up on IT Band Syndrome which seems to have the closest set of symptoms to what I'm experiencing. See article below:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=3528

I used a rolled up knee support to act as an IT compression band and went for a 6km run - hasnt stopped the sensation entirely but certainly allowed me to enjoy the run a bit more. Going to buy a proper compresion band and see how I get on!

15/10/2012 at 21:08

i have what sounds very similar, i just got it all of a sudden. my knee is painful and when i walk i need to click it but it is a powerful and painful click otherwise my knee feels spongy. it is painful to kick my leg out and walk on it. i havent banged it so i can not think what i have done. i have been running for years and have never had this, i am panicking that i will never run or cycle again!!!!!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.