Femeroacetabular Impingement

Am I the first?

21 to 40 of 524 messages
05/04/2011 at 20:28
Thanks Pipes.... I'm sitting in my hospital bed trying to take in everything that has happened today ....Op didn't got to plan and I'm afraid it's a worse case scenario similar to Trundles story above!

Basically they have shaved the bone but there is no cartilage left in the hip socket ..so the surgeon basically fractured the hip socket by drilling into it in the hope that when the bone fixes and heals that new cartilage will grow ...can't describe how much pain I'm in at the moment ...worst news of all is no more running for me ever again ...absolutely gutted & upset and shocked by all of this!

Also means instead of 2 weeks on crutches I'm going to be on crutches and no driving for 6 weeks!

What I would say there are a lot of ifs and buts with this surgery and no one seems to know what's going to happen until they open you up! ...sods law for me it's a worst it could possible be with regards running ... But after getting my head around it I have realised there are a lot of people worse off than me in the world so I need to keep my chin up and try to stay positive!
05/04/2011 at 22:33
Very sorry to hear that - it's hard to say anymore than that as I can't imagine how that feels (both physically and emotionally). But you're right to try to stay positive and think of how you can redirect your energies. I'm already looking into coaching/ officiating/ marshalling etc. as I really want to stay involved, whatever happens. I've done it since I was 12 (probably part of my problem!). Can't imagine doing any other sports.

Hope the pain eases quickly and that you are able to sleep/ recover as comfortably as possible. When will you get out of hospital?
07/04/2011 at 00:34
Bollocks DD. Oh well. Now might be the time to try that scuba diving / horseriding / kayaking / abseiling / judo you'd always fancied having a go at....:/
07/04/2011 at 11:35

Sorry for lurking - just wanted to wish you well Dennis and hope that you can remain strong and positive.

I think you're setting a really good example here to others in underlining that there are people much far worse off than us when we think we are at rock bottom.

All the best

12/04/2011 at 15:01
Cheers D2D ...I'm having my low days and good days ...running was such a big part of my life ...3 times a week for 8 years its bound to be ...the idea of the surgery was to allow me to carry on running and put off an inevitable hip replacement by the time I'm 50 ...it hasn't worked out and I'm devastated and will probably still need the hip replacement eventually anhow ...but I've got to remember there are always people worse off ...I still have 2 legs ...I can't begin to know how servicemen feel coming back from Afganisthan minus legs and arms ...so in that respect I'm quite well off!

Cycling & Swimming or Gym were suggested by the consultant none of which do it for me ...going to have to do something though so will start by buying myself a decent mountain/hybrid bike and see how I go!
12/04/2011 at 15:27

Dennis - I'm so sorry to hear your surgery wasnt successful and I do hope you recover well over the next few weeks, so at least the pain diminishes.

For others interest this was the surgeon I recommended to Philpub, I know him through work, but I am not medical so don't ask me any queries.

I do hope those of you waiting on NHS referrals can get them asap.

16/05/2011 at 21:43
Just a quick update from me. Saw surgeon today who offered surgery without hesitation. 2.5 months wait on NHS - not bad! He's hopeful it'll be a positive outcome. That's enough to keep me positive for the moment, despite the ongoing pain and lack of running.

Hope you're ok, DD, and recovering as well as you can from your surgery.

Is PhilPub still around? Have you got surgery coming up? Anyone else?
16/05/2011 at 21:56

Pipes thats great news about the wait (or lack thereof)...I do hope the operation is successful for you. 

16/05/2011 at 22:00
Thanks, Curly45

(Forgot to mention, surgeon says it's a cam impingement - just in case anyone else has similar)
16/05/2011 at 22:03
So you should be "done" by the end of the year definitely (don't mind me, I'm always a bit suspicious re. surgeons' views on waiting times).
Hope it works out. Is it up at the Nuff Orff or somewhere else? (Are you the woman I met marshalling at WHHM btw?)
16/05/2011 at 22:07
Well, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it ended up being done in September - I'm supposed to be going to America at the end of August! (wouldn't moan if I had to postpone, though).
Yes, it's in the Nuff and yes, we chatted in the car at WHH. I ran parkrun a couple of weeks ago when you were in the tutu. You inspired me to go and watch Stratford marathon with a stereo, after finding it so uplifting for me at Abingdon! (that was you, right?). It was fun.
16/05/2011 at 22:29
Heh I bet they loved you at Stratford - esp if you were in a dull bit! Congrats on the parkrun win btw
16/05/2011 at 22:34
Thanks Body definitely felt parkrun (due to not training) but head doesn't yet realise I'm injured and tried to push as usual!

I was on the Greenway - so yes, a dull bit! Had bells on my arms and in my hands as well. Made a bit of noise...
27/05/2011 at 08:54
Pipes, do you mind me asking which PCT have agreed to fund your operation? Bradford PCT won't. Kirkless and East Riding have recently I believe. Postcode Lottery scenario.

I have had to take the plunge and book in privately. time is running out.

Have just written out a timeline for my diagnosis - it's frightening how slowly stuff happens on the NHS - e.g. taking almost 6 weeks to type up a letter that was dictated by the consultant.

To summarise to process. It has taken a year for the NHS to do: an x-ray, 2 MRI scans, an injection, 2 consultations and decide not to fund my operation. It will have taken 4 weeks from consultation to surgery with Schilders privately.
30/05/2011 at 22:04
mrmoosehead - I'm in Oxfordshire. Postcode lottery, indeed. I also wonder whether the situation surrounding the injury plays a part in their decision. They said they had enough evidence that this was primarily acute damage and therefore more likely to have a positive outcome (ie the impingement hasn't yet caused much general wear-and-tear and that my pain is caused by a specific tear/incident). I worry a little that they may take a different attitude when it comes to my other hip, which is shaped the same way as the other one but hasn't developed pain in the same way.

My timeline so far has also been much quicker - first doctor consultation in January, anticipated surgery in August.

It's a shame you are having to pay to get treatment - I really hope you get a positive result. I have heard positive reports about Dr Schindler. Do you have a surgery date yet?
30/05/2011 at 22:14
Yes, in a week friday (10th June). It's amazing how quickly things happen when you're paying out of your own pocket.

Absolutely cacking myself about the outcome. Had a lovely run on Ilkley Moor this evening, beautiful sunset, calm, lovely.

}:8(
17/06/2011 at 16:29
All,
Had my surgery on my right hip last saturday.

Synopsis:
damaged cartilage (probably due to impingement) that had to be removed, and thin in places - again due to impingement - microfractures to encourage regrowth. Cam impingement shaved down, but labrum too thin and tatty to detach to take down pincer impingement - compensated by more work on cam.
Prof seems to think positive outcome though.

I'm pretty mobile. No pain, just aching. Even took a trip into Leeds on the train yesterday. Doing all my exercises like a good boy. including 2x30mins on exercise bike. Painkillers not really required.
Obviously the proof is in the pudding, and that will be a long way off.
If you are intersested, I will be tracking progress on my training log at
http://www.attackpoint.org/viewlog.jsp/user_1874/period-7/enddate-2011-06-17
http://www.attackpoint.org/log.jsp/user_1874
17/06/2011 at 19:39
That sounds really positive and reassuring, mrmoosehead. Thank you for writing so much detail about the procedure and how you have felt since then. I'm so glad that you don't have significant pain - I will certainly be tracking your progress on here (please do keep us posted) and on your training log. Do you have lots of follow-up appointments?

I phoned the hospital to see if they had any idea when I would find out about my surgery date. They had thought early August but the receptionist today just said it should be done by mid-September, due to holidays etc. I'm happy enough with that - it will affect work, but not my trips to America and Ireland.

Do you know when you'll be able to return to normal activities (eg. work), mrmoosehead? And how long will you be on crutches for, assuming that you are on them now?
17/06/2011 at 22:31
Just been out for a few beers at Ilkley Brewery and walked the mile home on the crutches (via another pub). Great to get out. Main mobility problem is sore hand from crutches.

Work I've already been doing some from home (I'm self employed IT contractor) Going to be doing more from next week, then commuting to York/Leeds for a contract from 4th July. Hope i'm not pushing it too far.

Usually I think they reckon 4 weeks on crutches, at least 8 before running. Office work from week 3 onwards, heavy work from 6-8.

If microfractures are put in to help cartilege regrowth, then crutches for 6 weeks, no runnign for 13 weeks.

I have a couple of follow up appointments in the next few weeks, a big booklet of the exercise plans for the first 4 weeks and then it will be dependent on progress.
Outpatient appointments will continue for years as they need the data to prove the efficacy of the procedure.

Will keep updating attackpoint.
17/06/2011 at 22:41
The microfractures bit I've not heard about before, is that a new wrinkle?
What are you allowed to do eg cycling/rowing/swimming/yoga/nookie?
21 to 40 of 524 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.