Femeroacetabular Impingement

Am I the first?

521 to 527 of 527 messages
23/03/2014 at 20:55

Thanks Rebecca. I'm due back at sports med next week so I will ask for an MRI referral. Sorry to hear that's it's come to the stage of a re-op for you. I'm in 2 minds about surgery. Sometimes it seems like it's my only hope but so many people still seem to be struggling after. It's really an impossible choice and only a crystal ball could help me make the decision. The worst part is I've emigrated out of the uk, and would probably need to travel back to get surgery, abandoning what has so far been a pretty successful emigration effort.

08/04/2014 at 14:54

Hi all

I am 1.5 weeks post my re-operation on left hip. They told me they had to remove the cartilage as it was too weak to repair, and they removed some more boney bits that could have caused the re-tear. I think I am doing ok. I can get around the house ok, frist week was not so good. Not sure what the removal of the cartilage means, they did say, its just can't re tear. Doing exercises,  basic streghthening, from physio, a little unsure whether I am trying to get around the house on own a little too early...Hope you are all doing well!

06/05/2014 at 11:16

Hi all, I am now 5 weeks post op and get clicking in the groi and aching in leg down to the foot. I still need two crutches when out and about....I still have 2 weeks off work...to be expected?

I am sure if wasnt like this the first time around....

21/08/2014 at 14:12

Six months post second op, should I still be experiencing the stabbing pain in groin? Still kills if I do the FAI test. Hope all are doing well

09/09/2014 at 21:50

Time to check back in folks as I am having a shocker, a nightmarish scenario.

Now about 20 months post-op. Things had been going OK, went to see a new physio March, I had no pain, slight limp, and doing moderate exercise no running. He started strengthening further the muscle around my hip with squats. It worked, I had no pain, great ROM and was flabbergasted to gradually start gentle running again.

About 2 months ago whilst doing a strengthening squat I felt a tear. Not for 1 minute did  consider it to be a labral retear, and thought it was a smallish groin strain. After rest was able to get back to gentle painfree running. Only to slightly reinjure it in very innocuous fashion about 4 times since,walking up stairs etc.

This week the pain has shot up and is very similar to the type and location of pain prior to FAI surgery. I now understand this to be a retear of the cartilage. Am gutted.

I went private for my op. I can't afford to do that again. Am frankly devastated. Spent over 6k only to be 20 months later be back where I started. Now have pain, back to no activity/diminished quality of life, waiting lists, funding issues with NHS to deal with. I can't believe this.

Any thoughts all welcome.

Rebecca, you have been through the mill many times over. What does your surgeon say?

01/12/2014 at 17:22

hi all, how is everyone doing? I am 8 plus months post second op and still have severe stabbing pain, clicking and general pain down into foot, is this to be expected...? back to hospital tomorrow, but not sure they will do anything as I have had the op done twice now

01/12/2014 at 17:27

Oh Parklife, I FEEL your pain. Yes I had it done again and they removed the cartilage, but im still in pain daily, very much so at night too. Talk to your surgeon and take their advise. Ive been told they won't do anything a third time, but too young for hip replacement. I do want them to take a look though, but im sure they will refuse, ill let you know after tomorrow. Keep smiling...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
521 to 527 of 527 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.