Femeroacetabular Impingement

Am I the first?

121 to 140 of 525 messages
28/02/2012 at 22:51
My case was deferred on 22nd pending further evidence!!!! It appears that other PCTs in the Yorkshire & Humber area are now funding the hip arthroscopy following the NICE guidance issued in September 2011.

So, my case goes back to the panel on 21st March for them to decide if they will fund or not.

In the meantime have seen my consultant who was not very hopeful that I would get the funding and that if I can't afford the private option then my only real option is to try and manage the pain!!!!!!

Following my consultation and given I have now not run for over 7 months and the pain is no worse for not running and I am missing it so much over the past few weeks I have been for a very gentle jog on the flat for 15/20 mins, on a sunday morning. The pain is there, but my consultant does not seem to think that some light gentle jogging will cause any further damage.

So, another wait - but I am feeling hopeful and optimistic!

SW3 - wow they don't hang about in Somerset do they! keep us posted on your op

Pipes - how's your recovery going?
29/02/2012 at 10:20
Really sorry to hear funding's been delayed again loverunning. It must be so frustrating. Have to say,w e're usually behind everyone else here in deepest Somerset ... Good that you're feeling optimistic and back to doing some running. My consultant told me I could do light jogging too and that I'd knew when I'd have to stop. He was right! It was just after Christmas when I couldn't keep up with the slowest group in the club and had to cut the run short. Knew then that the pain:enjoyment ratio had skewed too far in the wrong direction. I find that the best thing to ease the pain btw is spinning - I feel great for the rest of the day if I don't overdo the resistance.
29/02/2012 at 17:46
Good to hear the updates, but not good to read that you're having to wait a bit longer for a decision, loverunning. Seems more hopeful, as you say, if other PCTs in your area are taking on board the recentish NICE guidelines. I, like you, used to keep myself going with the odd short-ish easy-ish run on flat. It made the hips a bit sorer for a couple of days, but that was worth it for the stress relief and catch-up with friends.

Never been spinning, SW3. Might start it if I join the gym, which I'm hoping to do this weekend. Any news on your date yet?

I'm going ok. Met with a surgeon at the hospital on Monday and, although it wasn't the surgeon who did my op, he was great. He was interested straight away in my other hip and has put me on the list for an MRI, with a view to doing the surgery if the expected evidence is found. Obviously, I'll have to wait for the MRI, then the appointment with a surgeon, then for the op, but I may be done by the end of this year. To me, this would be success.

Not managed much exercise for the past week as I've had a cold and a tooth extraction. Operated hip is telling me that it doesn't appreciate the lack of activity!
21/03/2012 at 12:24
Hey, what's new, hip people?

I'm back out there, doing a fair bit. Probably too much. Hips doing well. Adductor problem, well - let's just say that is a work in progress.

Lots of muscle tightness and soreness around femoral head on left - seems mainly to do with the fact that I have much more ROM in the hip join and I'm working muscles that haven't been used for a long time.

PCT declined to pay for operations, even in part. That's still a work in progress.

Still logging on http://www.ar.attackpoint.org/log.jsp/user_1874
21/03/2012 at 18:24

Hello havent written on here much but have posted messages to Pipes on FAI.

Started running 2006.

Started getting sore hip 2007

After one particularly hard long run gradually more and more painful running and gradual loss of flexibility for yoga which I have done for 10 years.

Eventually after trying to run through the pain, trying rest, trying Physio and Hydrotherapy after a year got appointment with consultant on NHS by moaning (or thats what it feels like!)

After MRA at Derby Royal on Feb 15th have to wait until July 30th to see the consultant to discuss results.

Hoping for some sort of diagnosis PT thinks it is FAI consultant not so convinced.

Been following you all on this thread since last summer, keeping me sane thanks.

Hope you end up getting some recompense for all the money you have had to shell out.

21/03/2012 at 19:41
It's funny how this thread goes quiet for a couple of weeks, then several people post on one day! I was just logging on to say that I've just done my first post-op run (12 weeks to the day since the op) and it was lovely. Just 10 mins on the treadmill, but got to start somewhere. I started with a fast walk, then gradually broke into a trot, increasing the pace a little every minute or two until I felt a tiny twinge (that happened at 9km/h, so not pushing it at all), then went back down again. I'll do that for a few days, if there are no after-effects, then maybe add another 5 minutes at the weekend.

Anyway, hello mr moosehead and Linz. Linz - I can't believe how long you have to wait to see a consultant although, thinking about it, I had my MRI at the end of last January and saw the surgeon for the first time mid-May. I did get some feedback from the MRI in a letter, though, so I knew about the FAI. I hope you get some feedback from someone before July.

mr moosehead - I still follow your training log - looked at it tonight, in fact, to see how long you did on your first run back...more than I dared to attempt! It's great that you're back out there doing quite a bit - gives me hope of building up to a reasonable distance again if I keep being sensible. Have you given up your hip exercises (except stretching) now? Good luck with the adductor problem - are you seeing a physio with that? Shame about your PCT.

Ooh - just to add - I have an MRA appointment for 20th April to look at my right hip - can't wait to get feedback from that and hopefully look at more surgery. I can definitely feel the difference in ROM between my left (operated) and right (unoperated) hips now.
21/03/2012 at 20:07
That's great news pipes about your 1st post op run!!

Well, i'm still no further forward, my case went to The PCT's exceptional cases panel again today and they have decided they can't make a decision on my 'pending case'!!! Very frustrated!!!

Apparently, given that Bradford & Airedale PCT are now routinely commissioning Hip Arthroscopy following the NICE guidance my PCT have decided that they need to review their commissioning policy too...so, a period of consultation, decision making structures for approval etc in the meantime i'm a 'pending case' - pending their policy review.

No idea how long it will take or indeed if I will fit any new criteria they introduce......really sick of waiting

21/03/2012 at 22:51
@loverunning - your PCT should be commissioning this surgery. There is no excuse now. Are you North Yorks?

@pipes - I've never been known to take it easy. I've probably too much - but I had microfractures, hence the 13 weeks off running - in that time I was doing lots of other stuff including static bike and then back to biking. Just got back in from MTB night which was nice. I note that you say that you are using a treadmill - my consultant (schilders) has given me a lifetime ban on using a treadmill (not that I would anyway) because research has showed that they are really bad for the hips.

@Linz - don't give up. there are things that can be done.
21/03/2012 at 23:15
I'm West Yorkshire - Wakefield District PCT

They should be but they are not.....Have emailed my MP tonight as not happy, see if it helps
22/03/2012 at 20:56
Thanks, loverunning Sorry to hear you're still waiting - very frustrating

mr moosehead - my surgeon didn't tell me to avoid treadmills - he just said to avoid anything that causes any pain (eg hills/ speed), and even that was before the surgery. I trust your guy, though, so I'd imagine he has a point. Having said that, I've just (temporarily) replaced my kitchen table with a treadmill until I feel confident about going back on the roads, so I will stick with it in the absence of pain in the operated hip.

15 slow minutes tonight Only pain is in my unoperated hip. I'm hoping it'll ease after I've been back running for a week or two, otherwise I will have to just wait until after the next op.
Edited: 22/03/2012 at 20:57
23/03/2012 at 08:39
How long post op are you now?

I found that exercise bike was a good way of keeping going - no impact and keeps hip moving well.

Once I was able to walk ok, then cycling on the roads became an option.

Still doesn't beat running on the hills though.
25/03/2012 at 07:42
I'm 12.5 weeks post-op. I've been turboing on the bike but that's starting to lose the ability to keep me motivated. I've also been doing a weekly aqua-jogging session. Now that I can run, I want to get out there, being sensible, obviously. I hope everything will loosen up in a week or so but if the unoperated hip continues to hurt like it does, I may have to do other things til the next op.

Ran outside for the first time post-op yesterday - just a mile, but was glowing for the rest of the evening!
25/03/2012 at 19:24

Such lovely afternoon on Friday and as we had been doing sport relief stuff at school had trainers on so whilst I was walking the dog I began to jog and kept going for about 15 mins didnt seem to hurt too much. Woke up Sat morn and can hardly walk but boy did it feel good whilst I was doing it. Feel like a naughty school girl, Ha Ha

Its great to hear that you postops are so positive.

We have just aquired a water rower from a friend gonna give that a try in a bit.

Take care everyone.

29/03/2012 at 09:26
Hi everyone,
Had my hip scope on Tuesday. According to the op report, a massive labral tear had to be excised as it was beyond repair He also shaved 5mm off the hip socket at the front. The arthritis turned out to be worse than thought - just a very thin layer left at the back. No micro fracture then. Still trying to take it all in. The surgeon said that I'll need a THR in around five years or so, but the scope should buy me some pain-free (hopefully!) waiting time. HE also told me hubby that I'd move to THR very very quickly if I tried to run, so I'm definitely grounded. Plus side - I helped marshall at a cycle sportive the other week and it was FUN, so can't wait to recover enough to buy a shiny bike and hit the open road!
Sorry to hear your'e still playing the waiting game lovetorun. Hope your PCT sort themselves out soon.
29/03/2012 at 16:21
Interesting about THR if you run. Was there any specific reason for this?
My consultant has been happy for me to return to running, maybe he considers there to be enough bouncy stuff left. My microfracture location was only of the order of 6mm x 3mm or something like that.
29/03/2012 at 17:14
Hi mrmoosehead. You've got it. I'm down to a very very thin layer over a big area. No chance of growing more. I think the major factor though is that I have a few hip abnormalities that a scope couldn't fix - femoral anteversion and acetabular retroversion (twisted thigh bone and hip socket that points too far backwards!).
31/03/2012 at 11:34

Had my hip arthroscopy 2nd March. Had cam osteoplasty and labral thermal shrinkage. Was suppose to be a day case, but the general anaesthetic made me to sick, and had to stay overnight. Travelled back on my own in a taxi and train! Not something I would do again. For about two weeks I did exercises to gain  more range of motion. Difficult at first, but gradually got better. Had my stiches out 15th March. Surgeon really pleased with my progress. He suggested I could progress to strengthening exercises with a physiotherapist, which I am doing currently. Pain wise, there is some discomfort when I walk, and also after doing the exercises, which I was expecting. I am currently on 1600mg of Ibuprofen taken with Omeprazole. 

31/03/2012 at 16:09
Good to hear from you, SW3 - sorry to hear that the op didn't give any more positive news than expected, but you seem quite upbeat about the whole cycling thing. Hope the recovery goes well and that you're on the road bike soon. Keep us posted on how the recovery and exercises are going.

Hi Martyn - welcome on this thread and good luck for your recovery as well. I looked you up on Po10 as I thought I recognised the name and see that you're relatively local to me and have done some races I have done too (Mota Series '10). Finished a good 2+ mins behind you, though. That was a good year for me...haven't run much since! Where did you get your op? What has the surgeon told you about returning to running?
31/03/2012 at 16:56

Hi Pipes,

Thanks for getting in touch. Charndon 5k is my PB course, and my club are often well represented, being as it is so close to Aylesbury. I really enjoy doing the Motavation races, probably more geared up for club runners, but that isnt a bad thing as far as I am concerned.

I had my operation at the Wellington Hospital, St Johns Wood. I am in the fortunate position of having private medical cover, which did fast track the process somewhat. It did take me about 18 months for it to be diagnosed though. Initially I went to Bisham Abbey, near Marlow, but I lost patience with them after a period of about 3 months. They put it down to functional weakness in my core, but I wasnt happy so I made my excuses. After trying a bloke at my club who is an osteopath, without much further success, he suggested going to Elite Physical Medicine in Aylesbury, and after seeing the guy in charge, Paul Thawley, he said I had a problem with my hip. I think they call it the Faber test, and that proved positive. So I got in touch with a guy called Rahul Patel, who did a few tests, and an X-ray. The results were inconclusive, so he suggested having an MRI, with contrast injection. Which did bring some relief. He concluded that the injection was a success, so would proceed with the operation. I believe the diagnosis was Cam impingement, and a small labral tear. The surgeon did say I could return to running, obviously take it very steadily. I also asked if there were any signs of osteoarthritis, which worried me, but he said he couldnt find any signs, which is good. 

I havent set any goals yet, running of any kind would be good at the moment. Im looking long term to the next cross country season, whick will give me enough time hopefully to regain my fitness and strength.

Stay positive, hopefully you will get back running at some point. I know it can be frustrating sometimes!

31/03/2012 at 21:46
Thanks Pipes. I'm hoping positive vibes will do their stuff and get me back on my feet quicker! Take it easy on the non-op hip. Have you joined the gym yet and had a go at their spin bikes? Might be a good way to fill the gap between now and your next scope.
121 to 140 of 525 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.