First Marathon - finished before I started

3 messages
09/01/2013 at 15:32
Well here I am couple of days into the New Year and after starting my training for my first Edinburgh Marathon I've only gone and done my back in..... After completing several Half Marathons and a couple of Duathlons last year I decided to step up to the plate and commit to the 26miles... After keeping myself ticking over through the winter with gym work, weekly long runs 7/8 miles And the weekly parkrun i decide for a change and jumped on the road bike... After only 12 miles at an easy pace I feel something go in my lower back I get home and once the body cools down "bang" lower back freezes.... I'm now 6 days into painkillers and muscle relaxants.... Can anyone cheer me up by telling me there will be light at the end of this tunnel and I will be back out running soon!! Has something similar happened to anyone else out there??? How long was your recovery????
09/01/2013 at 17:53

There is light at the end of the tunnel.  A similar thing happened to me last year when I was training for my first marathon having done several halfs previously - I pulled a muscle in my back, think it was just too much too soon.  Initially went to the chiropractor who did no good at all, but doc prescribed Diazepam & Codeine which got me moving, although slowly at first.  I know it's frustrating not to do anything, but the main thing is to let things heal properly.  I went for gentle walks when I could walk, and after about 4 weeks I went swimming twice a week.  Started running again after 6 weeks and took it really slowly at first.  It's really difficult to rest when you've set yourself up with a goal, but the main thing is to make sure it doesn't happen again.  This time I'm combining running with Pilates and the gym, which may not get me round my first marathon in the time I want, but will at least get me to the start line in one piece!  Good luck, and don't overdo it!

10/01/2013 at 12:01
Thanks for the feedback rodgerbunny - The road to recovery is underway.... I WILL complete the marathon in under 4hrs !!!!!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.