Foam Roller

4 messages
06/05/2008 at 05:54

Hi, I have been advised to get a foam roller to exercise my calfs and hamstrings.  I see there are 4" & 6" diameters out there.

What is benefit of each over the other, which would I need for my use?

Thanks

Simon

06/05/2008 at 10:18
I'd suggest you ask the persone who advised you to get one - presumably they know what you should be doing with it!
06/05/2008 at 14:36

If you look at link below, you'd use the smaller roller for calf/soleus and large one for hamstrings, ITB band, etc.  You might need to compromise if want roller that will do both.  Ones shown below are pricey - I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives from physio type sites.

http://www.tpmassageball.com/

08/05/2008 at 15:17

I got a relatively cheap roller for my ITB, got the 6" type. it worked well for a while but started to deform a bit, the foam wasn't dense enough...

I use a spikey massage ball for my calves, this works much better than my 6 incher.... (oooer..) I also tend to use the ball on my itb again now...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.