Foam Rollers - Which ones

Advice?

7 messages
27/12/2013 at 22:51

Any advice on how good the trigger point rollers are like the one seen here? Sarah Connors showed us one in bootcamp:

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/trigger-point-grid-foam-roller.html

compared to something like this one:

http://www.physiosupplies.com/66fit-elite-foam-roller-blue-15cm-x-45cm.html

I'm sure there is plenty of discussion on here and will search but thought I would ask quickly.

28/12/2013 at 00:01
The smooth foam rollers are more versatile as you can do core exercises on them. I can inflict sufficient punishment on my tight muscles with a hard roller, golf ball, tennis ball and spikey ball. Not used a grid roller so can't comment on their effectiveness.
Edited: 28/12/2013 at 00:03
28/12/2013 at 01:51

I have both types. I use the trigger point roller more as it has a rigid core and is firmer to roll on. The grids are subtle and I don't think they really offer any benefit.

It is comfy enough to use for core work too.

28/12/2013 at 10:58

I have a trigger point roller too - my reason for buying it was that it should last indefinitely due to the rigid tubular core whereas the standard rollers start to give. I use standard ones at my pilates class and they become misshapen fairly quickly. I haven't had any problems using my roller for core exercises although admittedly they have been fairly limited to date. I also don't think the grid pattern makes any difference to their effectiveness either.

30/12/2013 at 19:13

I've only got the smooth foam roller but it means that I can do core work with it too - I got my boyfriend the lonsdale (larger one) for christmas and it's really good quality. I'm looking into getting a trigger point one too but foam rollers definitely have helped with recovery after workout

30/12/2013 at 19:36

I have both. Like andrews148 I like the firmer trigger point one but don't find I can feel the texture. 

I travel a lot and the main reason for buying the trigger point one was the fact it's hollow so can be stuffed with socks etc and packed in a case without taking much room. I also have a stick with handles which fits in a small bag, and which I find best for itb.

30/12/2013 at 20:51

Thanks everyone for the advice and reviews. I've ordered a trigger point roller so hopefully it will be here soon.

I'll report back how I find it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.