food and recipe ideas

I need help to budget a cheap weeks shopping list

21 to 25 of 25 messages
20/02/2013 at 19:52

WOW!! thanks so much guys that is an awesome amount of advice and when making my shopping list later, I will be sure to incorporate a whole lot of it!! The reason we are on such a budget is becuase we are currently travelling (in New Zealand at the moment) and food is pretty expensive here compared to the UK (well compared to when I was last there 2 years ago anyway!)

Great advice once again Annoying thing is though that the other half doesn't like tomatoes and I always have to think of something to substitute those tinned tomatoes for!

Thanks everyone xxx

21/02/2013 at 10:33

Buy cheap! We often get some bargains on a Sunday afternoon - big bags of veg and meat. Best deals we have had were a massive bag of sprouts for 20p - made a big soup with plenty left over for roasts etc and guinea fowls at £1.25 each (we nabbed one for my tea and a few for the freezer)! Another was at a market on a Saturday afternoon - literally a carrier bag full of cherry tomatoes for £1! Most of them were roasted with garlic and herbs to make the base of many a tasty dish!

21/02/2013 at 13:51

For bulk buys of staples like rice, pasta etc, check out the local Asian or other ethnic corner shop. 5 or 10kg bags of rice can be ridiculously cheap. Ditto beans, lentils, tinned chickpeas etc for bulking out those casseroles.

Use your freezer. When you get a carrier bag of toms for a quid, use them for a basic sauce and freeze the portions.

A slow cooker is a good investment. Mine is the basic Tesco one, cost a tenner.

21/02/2013 at 13:53

Ah, you say you're in NZ. Grab a gun and go bag yourself a couple of possums for pie. I'm told they're regarded as vermin.

21/02/2013 at 20:09
Soups are healthy and cheap.

We have leek and potato, tomato, bacon and lentil and finally butternut squash.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.