Foot Ligament Recovery

Is returning to running 2 weeks after a torn foot ligament too optimistic?

1 message
25/11/2010 at 15:29

I tripped running for the bus (the shame!) last night, landed on the side of my foot and subsequently ended up in A&E until 4am. X-rays showed no fractures and when I finally saw the doctor she theorised it was probably a ligament tear. Her prescription was R.I.C.E., bare-minimal activity for the next few days, then hobbling with tube bandages. In total she said it'll take about 6 weeks to recover. She also said I might need physiotherapy depending on how the recovery goes.

Obviously I told her that I was concerned about my running. And this is when she surprised me by saying that I could probably start running again after just two weeks. Obviously I was pretty pleased with this, given that a few hours earlier I'd been sitting in the x-ray room worrying about a major lay-off period. But by the same token, it seems a bit quick as an estimate, from the vantage-point of how much agony I'm in today, and given that the total recovery is meant to take 6 weeks.

Have any forum users had a torn ligament in the top of the foot, or similar? How long before they could get back to some form of training? Any medically-minded folk who think I should seek a second opinion? I'd love to be back out in two weeks but obviously I don't want to end up in even more agony...

Would also appreciate suggestions for exercise that don't involve my right foot so I don't get too 'chunky' while resting...

Cheers in advance,

Rob

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.