Foot pain - new runner - advice?

sharp pain in arch/heel

6 messages
28/01/2013 at 11:27
I'm totally new to running, and exercise in general really. Started 'Couch to 5k' recently, and completed the first two weeks before heavy snow kept me in for a couple of weeks. Today I did the first run of Week 3 of the plan and experienced sharp pain in the arch of my right foot, extending to the heel, on the inside. Any advice on how to make it go away?
28/01/2013 at 14:10

At first reading, these sounds like classic symptoms of inflammation of the "Plantar Fascia" - a fairly common runners' problem.  

Hopefully this gives you a starting point to Google it, to try to verify that your symptoms do match this condition... then indeed use the search function in this forum - because you'll find dozens of threads with advice on this subject. 

I've never had it, so I can't really offer more than that.  Good luck...  starting out running often leads to an injury here and there - which can feel very discouraging, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks a hundred-fold.

28/01/2013 at 14:15

it could also be referred pain from calf muscles

http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/gastrocnemius.htm

Also if you are a new runner and have only done 2-3 weeks of the C25K then had to take 2 weeks off, i would say you need to start at week one again?

Edited: 28/01/2013 at 14:17
28/01/2013 at 18:43

Hi. As a sports massage therapist, I tend to agree with both Run Wales and Max's Mum's responses. Another bit of advice - make sure that your running shoes are properly fitted and right for your running style. How to make it go away?

28/01/2013 at 18:45

Sorry - I didn't finish before hitting 'submit'! Well, I'm biased when I suggest you see a good sports massage therapist!

08/02/2013 at 13:12

Thanks for your responses guys. Started back on week 1 of Couch to 5k last week, and doing more calf and foot stretching, and it seems to be mostly ok. I can feel a "distant" pain after about 6-7 minutes running, but that's an improvement on earlier in the week so it must be getting better. Thankfully, it seems to be more of a one-off strain than a serious issue like PF.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.