Foot/ankle problems, maybe peroneal

A bit of advice requested

1 message
24/10/2012 at 14:16

Hi everyone. I wanted to ask your advice, if I may.

A couple of days after doing a half marathon about ten days ago I had a new injury/ache on the outside of my ankle and bottom outside edge of my foot (anatomical descriptions not my strong point I'm afraid). It was 'twingey' and mainly a discomfort/mild pain I felt when pushing off from the ground while walking. It went away quickly with rest. I went to see a sports physio and they examined me to rule out ligament/tendon damage, stress fracture, plantar fasciitis etc. Physio recommended avoiding running but keeping mobile and said it would settle down.

Anyway, it has settled a little bit but it's still there and it's starting to get sore with rest - especially in the morning or if I sit down for too long. It's fluctuating at the moment and reminds me a lot of an achilles problem I had last year.

What I wanted to ask was if you had any suggestions for promoting recovery please. I've heard what the physio has said but I'm just a little concerned that total rest might be worse. And obviously I'm itching to get running again!

With my achilles I found massaging, step exercises, stretch band work and keeping running within limits helped. It seemed to get worse when I rested from running. Does anyone have any experience with similar things?

I also wondered if you thought it was worth getting my running gait checked out somehow. (How would I even do that? I'm not sure.) The physio confirmed the arch in the injured foot is slightly lower and I've always felt like it's a 'weaker leg' for me. On a recommendation from the same physio practice a few months ago I put in some more supportive insoles. Could that be connected to my new injury? Am I just transferring the discomfort I had in my achilles to a different part?

So many questions! I'd appreciate any thoughts or pointers you all have. Thanks!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.