Fractured Metatarsal not healing

5 messages
14/11/2012 at 21:30
I have a fractured metatarsal that hasn't healed after 12 weeks and on the x-ray shows no signs of healing. They are now talking about putting a screw in it and I just wondered if anyone has any experience of this ? Is this something I want or what are the other options ? Would this be likely to increase or decrease recovery time ? (probably a daft question bearing in mind the last 12 weeks)
16/11/2012 at 20:29

Crikey!! My foot is in pot due to a stress fracture and i've been told it should be off in 4 weeks, where is yours?

16/11/2012 at 20:50
It's the base of the 5th metatarsal. I was driving after one day, only wearing the shoe half of the time after a week and by the end of the second week the shoe was gone and I was using the cross trainer, after 3 weeks I was going to spin class twice a week and after 6 weeks I was discharged from Fracture Clinic. After another week I was running and built this up over the next 3 weeks but pain returned and I went back for another x-ray. All of the above was with fracture clinic/Physios agreement and seemed to be going OK.
16/11/2012 at 21:08

Good Grief!! Mine was put in pot a week after I had done it (running of all things and kept trying to run on it whilst broken, idiotic I now realise).The consultant also told me that when the pot comes off there is to be no running for at least another month and after reading your thread I think I will follow his instructions to the letter!! Really sorry for your ongoing problems and hope your fracture will resolve itsef without the need for a screw in it as I think that would put you out of action for quite a while.

16/11/2012 at 21:27
Might not be a bad idea to follow their advise !! I broke my metatarsal two weeks after I started back running following a broken Fibula.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.