free from- diet

21 to 40 of 69 messages
02/11/2009 at 22:56
May I suggest that you don't ask me to do it...
Kryten    pirate
03/11/2009 at 06:22

Its worth bearing in mind that absolutely anyone can call themselves a nutritionist and start giving out advice.

Quack quack!

03/11/2009 at 07:05
Whilst I am intolerant to wheat I can tolerate spelt - which is why I suggested it. If you're not actually coeliac it's quite common to be able to manage spelt I'm told.
03/11/2009 at 08:26

As a recently diagnosed coeliac (I'm  50) I've had problems with dairy products, but having read the blurb from the coeliac bods, I see that they may be due to my inability to process gluten.  Once I've stabilised following removal of gluten from my diet, I may be able to return to eating dairy.

If you have problems with wheat, that may explain the dairy, but as others have said, the only real way to test is either via blood test (which you get for coeliac) or exclusion diet.  If you follow the later, providing it is conducted under proper and professional guidelines, it will enable you to identify and eliminate the "culprits".

If you really are determined to remove wheat, you need to check everything - Oxo cubes for eg contain wheat - otherwise you may find yourself eating it inadvertently, so prolonging your symptoms (whatever they may be).

However, by removing so much from your diet, you could end up with a nutritional imbalance, which won't help matters at all.  I'm guessing that this is a self-referral rather than via your GP?  If you have serious concerns about your health, then try your GP first, he/she may be able to either give you tests or refer you to nutrionist on the NHS. 

03/11/2009 at 09:22
CJBA wrote (see)

As a recently diagnosed coeliac (I'm  50) I've had problems with dairy products, but having read the blurb from the coeliac bods, I see that they may be due to my inability to process gluten.  Once I've stabilised following removal of gluten from my diet, I may be able to return to eating dairy.

CJBA - coeliac disease can cause a secondary lactase deficiency - hence the problems with dairy. This is reversible, as your small intestine recovers now you're on a gluten free diet.

Have you tried Genius gluten free bread? It's not available on prescription, but is the nicest GF bread that I've found.

03/11/2009 at 09:55
I have been diagnosed coeliac since 1984. The last thing that you do is experiment on a gluten free diet before having a biopsy. These diet experiments wil just cloud the testing process and make it harder to make a proper diagnosis. You will go round in circles if you let nutritions keep telling you to leave out this and that.Longun.
03/11/2009 at 12:40

gosh didn't think i'd have so many responses!

Lardarse-im afraid i can't eat whatever i feel like as i get very ill, you must feel very lucky.

Went to so many doctors the past 5 years and none of them were helpful. They just keep saying ibs, which yes i do suffer from but they couldnt help me as to what was aggrevating the ibs. I've had a few tests done so coeliac is ruled out but they said they wouldnt test my intolerances on the nhs (big surprise) so she gave me 3 names i should go see and my women was 1 of them. 

I completely agree it probably is a load of rubbish but im inclined to beleive her as she atleastgave me some answer''s rather than nothing!!

She's given me lots of advice on how to include calcium etc in my diet now also.
03/11/2009 at 13:12

Yes, thanks for that Sarah, I've been on a g-f diet since June, so after 50yrs of eating the wrong stuff, it's going to take a while for my gut to settle, but I'm confident that it will.

I try a bit of dairy from time to time, to see how it's going.  No 1 Child has similar problems, but we seem OK with lactose-free cheese and yoghurts, although I have to say that now  that I've got used to eating soya yoghurts, I think I prefer them to the "real thing".

And yes, we've tried genius - the closest to real bread.  I've changed my breadmaker to the g-f version and made some bread - not brilliant, but just have to get used to it!

My favourite lunchtime special used to be cheese and marmite on toast not any more

03/11/2009 at 15:31
sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

Go and see a dietitian!

Not that I'm biased at all...

Correct. Anyone can claim to be a nutritionist. It's about as scientific as homeopathy. Before you know it Gillian McKeith is sifting through your poo!

Dietitians are qualified health professionals. I'd rather show my poo to them.

03/11/2009 at 16:13
Michael Hughes 10 wrote (see)

Correct. Anyone can claim to be a nutritionist. It's about as scientific as homeopathy. Before you know it Gillian McKeith is sifting through your poo!

Dietitians are qualified health professionals. I'd rather show my poo to them.

Maybe we don't want to see your poo...  
03/11/2009 at 16:19
anybody can see my poo if they follow me on a run
03/11/2009 at 16:31
The Hoose-Goer wrote (see)
anybody can see my poo if they follow me on a run

03/11/2009 at 16:34
i have a special bush called George
Edited: 03/11/2009 at 16:34
03/11/2009 at 16:38

Sarah - I know you say you'd rather believe her because she's at least given you some answers, but unless those answers are the right ones, you won't benefit. If you're willing to pay, you can find freelance dietitians - at least you know that the person you see is properly trained and is regulated. If you are intent on following this nutritionist's advice, at the very least only cut out one food at a time to see if there is any improvement in your symptoms. I'd also add that if you do have IBS, there is a strong psychological element to it - stress hormones can play havoc with your bowels. Eliminating particular foods won't make the slightest difference to your symptoms unless the source of the stress is dealt with. That's assuming of course that there is a stress element to your case - there might not be

Also, if you have been diagnosed with IBS, your GP should have referred you to a dietitian. Not to identify intolerances (if you ask for a referral on that basis the GP is likely to refuse) but to help you to formulate a diet and meal pattern that alleviates your symptoms. Once you've got your appointment you can discuss whatever issues are of concern to you  So go back to the GP!

Edited: 03/11/2009 at 16:39
03/11/2009 at 16:41
The Hoose-Goer wrote (see)
i have a special bush called George

Ah, yes. I have of heard of this bush called George. A particularly worthy receptacle of poo...
03/11/2009 at 16:47

absolutely Sarah

I wont ask if you have a bush and what you call it, being the gentleman I am

03/11/2009 at 17:06

03/11/2009 at 17:56

Hoosie  - behave yourself

You won't be allowed back on the nifties thread if you're not careful

03/11/2009 at 17:57
03/11/2009 at 18:04
mmmmmm
21 to 40 of 69 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.