Full fat or low sugar?

What are you?

20 messages
27/08/2010 at 17:08

Just out of idle curiosity (off work today due to toothache and wisdom tooth extraction earlier)...

do you opt for the full fat version of things, eg mayonnaise, butter, soft drinks etc, or do you go for the low fat version?  What are the reasons for your choice?

Personally I always go for full fat as I think they taste better, and I don't worry about calories etc as the running tends to take care of that.  

I find it interesting that most of my friends, who are of the non-exercising variety (unless you count dancing at parties when very very drunk), opt for low fat/sugar in the belief that it makes them thinner.

I wonder if this is a sporty/non sporty person divide, or if runners are also conscious of the calories they consume?

27/08/2010 at 17:22
I go for full fat butter and mayo (not found a light version that tastes right).  Have found a lighter version of salad cream that I like.  Do drink diet coke though as find the full fat version sets my teeth off!
27/08/2010 at 17:27

It depends on what I'm buying, and what the ingredients are of the modified product.

I don't like buying things that are crammed with artificial sweeteners, because I'd much rather eat natural foods, but at the same time, I know what harm excessive sugar can do. So most of the time, it's a compromise.

As for fat, I'll usually buy a reduced fat variety, because I'm not big on creamy tastes or the prospect of heart disease  

For both, the calorie content doesn't really come into it.

Hope your tooth (or the place where the tooth used to be...) feels better

27/08/2010 at 18:02

Low fat everything aside from chocolate!

Low fat cheese, I can't believe it's not butter light (I really can't - it is so good), low fat yoghurt etc etc

I don't have this problem with 'fizzy drinks' because I only ever drink water or fruit juice and I don't take any sugar in my tea/coffee - because I don't drink tea/coffee.

I don't see why someone would choose non-low fat to be honest - low-fat stuff doesn't taste bad, it's just preventing you from having a heart attack

I'm not calorie conscious whatsoever though - if you eat the right foods, you needn't be. I can literally eat  fruit/veg/pasta/bread/cereal 'til I'm fit to burst and not put any weight on. Plus, since these foods fill you up more, you rarely crave junk food.

Train hard, eat well but don't ever go to the extremes i.e. eating too little/too much since that's where the problems start.

27/08/2010 at 19:17

Think its a matter of tasted D2D, I've tried different types of "I Can't Believe" and "Butter Me Up" etc and they just keep reminding me of margarine  

Haven't tried low fat cheese, which one do you eat? 

27/08/2010 at 19:29

The only low fat cheese that tastes remotely like cheese, is the Cathedral City one, IMHO. Soft cheeses are another matter, and I can't usually tell the difference between standard/ low fat ones, so I always go for low-fat. Which can cause problems if I'm cooking with them... cornflour usually sorts out splitting though

All butter is  and low-fat versions are just about tolerable to my taste buds.

As Cinders said, definitely a matter of taste. Although I do think that some people persevere more and adapt to reduced fat/sugar varieties.

27/08/2010 at 19:40

I avoid all 'diet' foods and drinks, be they low-fat or low sugar if they have replaced the fat and sugar with nutritionally rubbish substitutes like artificial sweeteners, but I do buy things like semi-skimmed milk. I use quite a lot of olive oil.

I hardly ever have fried foods, pies, chips, cream, mayo, fizzy drinks, or anything with modified corn syrup, but I do like a bit of chocolate and cake, so i'm not exactly saintly in my diet!

ET7
27/08/2010 at 20:54
The only concession I make to the low fat world is skimmed milk. Don't have a sweet tooth and don't eat processed food or any red meat but drink alcohol( lifes too short )! Most of the low fat stuff seems to make up for taste by adding shed loads of sugar!
ET7
27/08/2010 at 20:55

Well I also tend to avoid all the low fat and low sugar varieties.  Just over 4 years ago I managed to lose 52lbs and have since then been able to maintatin my weight with ease.  But unfortunately, before then this was not the case.  I had for many, many years struggled with my weight.  Until I came to the conclusion that the best way to keep at a healthy weight.  Was to eat a healthy, balanced diet.  Along with combining a certain amount of regular exercise.  Of course, this was running.  The two work perfectly together. 

I taught mysel to cook and prepare food from scratch.   Instead of relying on supermarket ready made meals.  Which I use to zap in the micowave.  Understanding food labels and have the ability to judge my portion sizes all help with this.

Many slim people who stay that way by 'watching their weight, show flexible restraint.  Rather than following rigid all-or nothing rules.  By making healthy choices most of the time.    But no foods are forbidden.  I do not deny myself any foods.  if I feel like some chocolate, or a few glasses of wine then I have some.  But the key to success is moderation. 

This works for me.  Being able to enjoy small amounts of my favourite foods without feeling guilty.  And if I do over-indulge, or have a big night out.  I then cut back a bit or do more exercise the next day to balance things out.  And to me it is as simple as that.

27/08/2010 at 21:36
Full fat everything apart from milk, because it makes me gag. Don't drink fizzy drinks so that's not an issue. One of the main reasons I go for full fat is taste but also because I try to avoid food that's been heavily processed. Although I've just eaten a bag of chocolate money for my tea...
27/08/2010 at 21:58

Cinders - Have you tried I can't believe it's not butter light? It's really rich and creamy - not at all margarine-y! (that wasn't supposed to rhyme)

Re. the low fat cheese - I usually just get a Sainsbury's Be Good To Yourself one - really tasty and it crumbles like real cheddar not like those horrible plasticy cheese blocks.

27/08/2010 at 22:01
Full fat everything but semi-skimmed milk. Not much sugar at all and very rarely do "processed" stuff.
27/08/2010 at 22:26
Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)
Full fat everything but semi-skimmed milk. Not much sugar at all and very rarely do "processed" stuff.

Ooh, i'll come round for tea at yours then! 
28/08/2010 at 08:12
Hadn't heard of that one D2D, worth a go I think
28/08/2010 at 08:39
Vicky Pea wrote (see)

Ooh, i'll come round for tea at yours then! 

any time Vicky

yo Cin

x

28/08/2010 at 08:46
Yo Stu
28/08/2010 at 09:35
Skimmed milk for me (I actually think it makes better cappuccino if you order one in a coffee shop) but generally I prefer smaller quantities of full fat stuff. A couple of squares of really good chocolate are nicer than a whole bar of Dairy Milk. And I steer well clear of artificial sweeteners after a sports nutritionist explained exactly what happens when your body metabolises them. I'm always puzzled in the office canteen by the popularity of chips with grated cheese and a can of Diet Coke as a balanced lunch!
28/08/2010 at 10:05

Forgot about semi skimmed milk, full fat is a bit rough.  mind you they discovered a massive hole in my wisdom tooth yesterday so maybe that's a sign!

I have tried low sugar beer & cider, both of which are pretty rough, as are the low alcohol versions - I'd rather have a  soft drink!

28/08/2010 at 16:22
Sophie, I'm with you all the way. I absolutely can't stand the taste of diet drinks, low fat mayo, cheese or skimmed milk. I only eat the 'real' stuff because it tastes much nicer and exercise takes care of the fat. My cholesterol probably isn't great though.

My flatmate is the opposite and only eats low fat versions of food. At least it stops him from 'sharing' my stuff.
28/08/2010 at 21:52

I don't eat dairy at all so I  never think about it.  Also never eat sugar - except for in Dark chocolate (dairy free of course   Don't eat or drink anything with artificial sugar either.

In answer to the op's question - these choices are purely personal preference and nothing to do with counting calories.

Edited: 28/08/2010 at 21:54

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
20 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.