Getting back after injury

What's the best way forward?

6 messages
14/03/2009 at 15:12

Hi was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of a decent programme to get back to running after 10 months off?

I badly tore my lateral collateral ligament in my knee doing a marathon (my first - Brathay) in May last year and have just been given the go ahead to run again, but am not sure how to gradually get back into running without causing further problems (said injury caused some cartlidge damage too) .

Any help would be very gratefully received!

14/03/2009 at 15:42

I would take it very very easy, almost like you are a beginner again.  Increase the mileage each week very gradully, don't do too much each week.   Perhaps some exercise like swimming that is easy on the joints might help to build up your strength again, but not breaststroke.   Try not to do all your runs on the road either, find some trail which is easier on your legs.

14/03/2009 at 18:17

I have just had time off after having inflammed achillies.I had two weeks rest then went out on a short run but ended up at square one again,this happened repeatedly.I eventually got frustrated because I didn't know how to start running again!

Saw my GP who is sports injury trained and he gave me a return to running programme.As an example for the first week you start with a 5min walk then a 3minute run followed by 1 minute of walking,this is repeated 5 times then finish with a 5 minute walk.You repeat this 3 times in your first week.The run should be a gentle jog.

Each week you increase the running time and reduce the walking time and if things still feel sore/hurting you stay on the same training pattern for a further week instead of moving on.

If all that makes sense,I hope it helps!!

14/03/2009 at 18:43
Thanks guys that's great, will definitely follow what your GP said rusty.  Know I'm going to find it really hard doing the walking, even though I know I must!
14/03/2009 at 22:48

The weirdest bit for me was the 5min walk at the beginning and end! the walking interval between runs/jogs goes really quick!

good luck

15/03/2009 at 07:46
Thanks - popping out now - gorgeous day, can't wait!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.