Getting The Right Shoes

Help !!

3 messages
14/01/2013 at 10:31

I get quite a lot of trouble with calf strains, even though I warm up thoroughly , and wonder if I have the right shoes. I have previously had my feet analysed, once on a pressure pad and once using video . The first advice I got was to use Motion Control shoes and the second time I was advised to go for Support shoes. I am 15 stone and have run marathons some years ago, but the calf strains are stopping me getting my miles up. My feet pronate, but I wouldn't say severly, so I have used Support shoes. Has anyone else suffered with repeated calf strains due to the wrong type of shoe and if so how did you sort the problem ? It's getting me down now as I just want to be able to run 

14/01/2013 at 12:12

Have you seen a sports physio?  Only time I've seen calf strains mentioned in relation to shoes is when people have gone down the minimalist route (i.e. no heel-to-toe difference) - the only time I suffered it was after buying shoes with amuch lower heel-to-toe drop and trying them out for the first time on a hill rep session!

It sounds like it could be some other bio-mechanical shortcoming, e.g. tight hamstrings or weak glutes. But you need to get a qualified person to physically assess you to help identify the cause.  

14/01/2013 at 17:30

OK, Thanks for the advice stutyr. I'll look into it

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.