gi index, calorie content etc

7 messages
05/11/2003 at 08:12
Hi does anyone know of any books out there or websites which will give you a list of foods, their gi (glycemic index), calorie content and fat content ? Have heard lots about how we should be eating low gi foods and that simple sugars are evil and give you cravings and hinder weight loss.
WildWill    pirate
05/11/2003 at 08:17
for a start, no food is evil ;o)

Only excesses of a food typ can be evil

There should be a place in your diet for High GI foods as well as medium and low (normally just before, during and just after training)

Also note that jou should look at the GI of a meal not of the foods indervidually - for example if you add protien to a hi GI food (ie adding fish to rice) it changes from being higher GI to a much lower GI food

Diet is about balance not abstanance

WW
The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/11/2003 at 08:17
Mrs O .. my friend bought 2 off Amazon recently and she said they are very good. ... I'll try and get their details for you
05/11/2003 at 09:02
WW, I thought that the best food combinations from a weightloss point of view were starch with veggies or protein with veggies. Don't know the science behind this, it's just something I picked up from skinny friend!
05/11/2003 at 09:03
www.drsears.com

05/11/2003 at 20:19
The Montignac diet book has a massive list of the GI content of foods and advice on how to combine them - i think it's called the Montignac method.
11/11/2003 at 22:38
Low gi food: underiped, wholegrain, raw, unprocessed food... that summarises it well i think..

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.