Girls only ... Period

1 to 20 of 60 messages
17/10/2008 at 22:16

Hi ya just wanted some advice really

I have been on the injection for years and the last 9 months have been on the mini pill. So for the last 7 years I havent had a period.

I have my first every HM on Sunday and guess what!! I have just started my first period in 7 years. BLOODY GREAT

Would like to know what is the best pad/tampon to wear while running.

Sorry to ask but ?!! Need to know!!

Nam
17/10/2008 at 22:24

I can't abide pads!!!  Plus they might chafe you.

Use a tampon, put it right 'up' so you can't feel it and if the string bothers you put that 'up' a bit as well.  Don't worry it won't get lost.  Use quite an absorbent one so you don't need to change it during the race.  By Sunday you're on your third day and the flow shouldn't be so bad.  You'll be ok.

Good luck.

17/10/2008 at 22:28

Thanks Nam...

How bad is that after 7 years!! I thought I was going to faint yesterday and had to eat choclate and the last 5 days I could have killed my other half!! Now I know why!!

Nam
17/10/2008 at 22:32

It isn't great timing but these things are here to try us. 

I strangely have a lot of energy 2-3 days into my period so you never know it may work in your favour. 

Iron Pingu    pirate
17/10/2008 at 23:13
Hmm, watch out for the mini pill, not very effective ...
18/10/2008 at 00:14

MaryMoo, bad luck, but don't despair!!  I've always suffered with really heavy periods, and ran my first two HM's and first Marathon during my period: Sod's law or something.  But I did ok! 
I agree totally with Nam: heavy duty tampon and definitely NOT a pad. I once did a training run in the pouring rain wearing a pad..........and was shocked how much rain water it managed to absorb, (not to mention chafing),

Good luck with the Half!

18/10/2008 at 08:09

Thanks girls, I dont know how you all put up with this every month, I am bleeding to death this morning and have really bad tummy pain! Took painkillers and have a hot water bottle on tummy. Just hope I feel better later!

But yes RB it is sods law!!

18/10/2008 at 08:23

I'd recommend the Mooncup. Takes a wee bit of time to get used to/confident with it, but certainly for future it's well worth it. Wouldn't use anything else now.

Have a good race!

18/10/2008 at 08:36
Mooncup?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/10/2008 at 08:37

I've had the opposite problem. My normal cycle is 21 days, with 7 days of blood loss. I was on the injection for a couple of years and bled solidly EVERY DAY for 10 months. The GP was very unsympathetic and said "well it's the Depo - what do you expect" as continual bleeding is rare but possible.

Eventually got to see a gynae doc and had an op to sort it out, but I have NEVER been the same since and still have major problems. If I had not had a period for seven years I would be skipping down the street, but I guess you've forgotten how horrible it can be by now Marymoo!

It is usually only the first day or so, so you'll be fine soon!

Those men don't know they're born do they?

Just for the record, my next one is due the day of my marathon and the last one arrived the day of GNR! What is it about running women timing their cycles to race day?

Edited: 18/10/2008 at 08:38
LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/10/2008 at 08:38
I've bought a Mooncup, but it looks uncomfy. Convince me Clag!
18/10/2008 at 08:47
mooncup is ace - once you get used to inserting it you don't know its there - you will probably have to shorten the stem.  The getting used to inserting it isn't as bad as you think.  On long races/rides you don't need to take extra stuff just empty and reinsert.  It feels sort of cleaner as well I find can't explain why it just does
18/10/2008 at 09:23
I've just come on {not at he right time seem to be irregular} a day before my race.  Only problem is although I use a super tampon I still sometimes leak any ideas how to stop this?
18/10/2008 at 11:02
The mooncup is fab and holds LOADS more than any tampon!!  I do find though once inserted I have to run my finger round the outside of it to make sure it's in properly so it doesn't leak. 
18/10/2008 at 13:28
Wiener - maybe try a different brand.  They have different mixes of fibres, and slightly different lengths.  I found a leaking problem stopped when tampax made theirs "new and improved"
LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/10/2008 at 16:02

Wiener - New tampax have "skirts" on them now that seem to do a better job of not leaking. Go up to Super plus too for a day or so to see if that helps. (Orange pack usually)

I'm going to have a go with this Mooncup thingy next time! The only question I have might sound a bit mental, but here goes...

If you were out shopping and had to use a public loo, what do you do if it needs emptying? I would be mortified if I had to wash it out in a public basin. Do folk simply pour out and re insert?

Edited: 18/10/2008 at 16:02
18/10/2008 at 16:22

Thanks everyone. Just been and got a box of orange ones.

Just would be so embarrased if I had any probs. Also think I may give the mooncup a go next month. It's a real pain sometimes, men are so lucky.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/10/2008 at 16:23

It's the pain that gets me.

It hurts like hell on day one. I think all men should be kicked in the goolies the day before the race to even things up!

18/10/2008 at 16:27

Totally agree LB,

I've had the worst cramps ever today, I think it's my bodies way of punishing me 'cos it knows what I'm going to do to it tomorrow!

Just hoping and praying that I feel better in the morning.

18/10/2008 at 16:31

LB........ LOL!!!

WD...... Where you doing your marathon

1 to 20 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.