Glucose blood test

high result?

21 to 22 of 22 messages
25/10/2005 at 11:52
hmm well diagnosed at 9 years old it wasnt high on my priorities to investigate it too thoroughly (more interested in climbing trees and playing star wars) and to be honest a lot has changed in the knowledge about diabetes and how to treat it since i was diagnosed (over 20 years ago). there was no history of it in my family and as a son or daughter you do carry a higher risk of getting it, however it may well never surface so until you do think you might be getting the symptoms i wouldnt worry about it, there is not a preventative system to follow so if you are going to get it theres nothing you can do (- except blame your parents, especially if you are a teenager - joke). it may skip a generation and if you decide to have children it will be tested for if you mention a history of it in your family, i think as a parent you carry a 1 in 20 chance of it developing at some stage in your son or daughters life. i think there is a world epidemic of it at the moment, although no one knows why - it could be because of diet or pollution levels i dont know but those things seem most likely to me, but i am no eco warrior so i'd better not preach my beliefs here :o)
D1
31/10/2005 at 21:03
hiya, not been around for a fair old while but in case anyone passes through who's interested, hubby is controlling his diabetes through diet alone - he wanted to give the "body heal thyself" thing a shot first before going down any medication route & overnight just switched his lifestyle, zapping all sugar & anything processed or refined out of his diet, concentrating on slow-release foods that his body has to work on (fruit bill is now ginormous & his appetite has soared through the roof & I'm spending alot more time in the kitchen making lentil soups & the like). I never thought he could do it & thought he was just delaying the inevitable, but the docs are happy with the latest tests a month or two back showing his blood sugar levels down nearer more normal ranges; all the feet, eyesight things showing no damage, dieticians giving terrific guidance. I know this approach doesn't suit everyone, if many, but I was stunned at the effect of this. The docs are now taking the same approach with his cholestrol - they wanted to get him onto tablets for that but have allowed him a few months grace to try to get that down his own way too.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.