Going off depo provera and running...

sorry... total girly question... but not just for girls per se...

21 to 38 of 38 messages
02/12/2010 at 10:33

Weight seems to be stabilising - I'm not really losing much, but I'm not gaining much either.

TOTM hit me in a big way yesterday, though - and certainly not just the pseudo-TOTM it was last month. Bring on the hot water bottle and the super-plus sanitary products...

I certainly don't think I'm going to be one of those women who take a year to adjust.

02/12/2010 at 10:33
Nice TOTP! 
Lix
08/12/2010 at 14:59
it strikes me it's affected us all in quite different ways. I added my 'before' pic on here as proof the weight gain was NOT in my head (it was on my ar5e!!)

I dunno, such trauma we have to go thru! x
09/12/2010 at 14:09

Well, so far I've had two 'periods' since coming off the depo - about 30 days between the start of each.  No particular problem there

But what really galls me is that towards the end of both I've ended up with really painful thrush (sorry if TMI).

Could be just a coincidence, but I've never had it like that before. I hope this isn't going to be a regular occurrence - for one thing, it's expensive to keep buying the treatment.  If it happens next month as well, I'm going to have to see my GP...

15/12/2010 at 12:56

hello ladies,

I've been on depo for over two years now and over that time, I've put on about 5kg that I can't shift. I eat properly and run three - four times a week. In the past six months, I've really worked hard at trying to lose weight and I've managed...nothing. I still have a tummy like a bowling ball. Been tested for thyroid problems but it came back fine

Yesterday, reading this thread, I realised it must be due to the depo. The depo would also explain why I've been encased in a gloomy mood for about three months too, not even putting up the Christmas tree made me happy.  So, I've decided, that's that and I'm not going to have it again. Next jab is due at the beginning of January, so I'm going to skip it.  I feel so much happier now I know there's probably an explanation for why I've chunked up.  It's been seriously depressing working hard to lose weight and getting no where, looking forward to the new year now.

Just got to find a non-hormonal alternative.

I'm a bit peeved to be honest, no one told me that it would more than likely cause weight gain or that nothing I would do would shift it. I was on depo for a while in my 20s and didn't have anything like this. Live and learn I suppose. 

15/12/2010 at 13:59
Ok first of all please do not take this personally just quoting you to illuminate my point. Not meant to attack you or anyone else.

AllNewTB wrote (see)

I'm a bit peeved to be honest, no one told me that it would more than likely cause weight gain or that nothing I would do would shift it.

Before I took Depo I read up from the makers website, NHS website, leaflets at the clinic but also a few independent medical studies as well as discussion boards and talking to my friends.

That it can mess with your weight, mood, hormones etc (as the pill can too) I was fully aware of. Also I certainly did not expect my GP or Family planning nurse/doctor to know all about something they might not ever have taken themselves.

I never expected "anyone to tell me all", but this is something I hear more and more from friends and people around me.

Just wondering why more and more people are expecting to be told everything and not using common sense and do some research???

16/12/2010 at 12:33

Zaba - I wasn't really given a chance to research it. I went in to see a nurse because of a continuing problem with the pill. She said "ok, let's try this instead, ok?" And that was that. Same with other drugs I've had over the years for asthma. Doctor says "lets try this" writes out a prescription and that's that.

I did ask about side effects of the depo and was told "in some people, it can cause weight gain, but exercise and a healthy diet should sort that out."  Of course, this has not happened in my case. Can't begin to describe how frustrated I am.

I tend to trust my nurses and doctors' opinion more than something I read on the internet. If they are of the view that something is ok to be administered, then I have in the past gone with that.   I'm getting more cynical though - I was prescribed a course of steroids for 7 days in September. I've taken them before, but for five days. This course made me suicidal and when I mentioned this to my Doctor she said "oh yes, this can happen. Do you have a history of depression in your family?" Both my parents have depression, I shouldn't have been given this drug for this length of time, but when you're struggling to breath and you're told 'take this' by a doctor, you really don't stop to do online research.

16/12/2010 at 14:40

We don't really know why depo causes weight gain.  It's thought to be either to do with reducing metabolism or increasing appetite (to be honest, all weight gain has to be down to one of those!).  When you are first offered depo, the nurse or GP should go through the main side effects and consequences.

If you are coming off depo specifically due to weight gain, but still want contraceptive cover, you could consider other progesterone only methods, such as the progesterone only pill Cerazette.  This often reduces or stops periods altogether and for some reason doesn't have quite as much of a problem with weight gain.  

If you have a normal BMI, the weight gain is not going to be a concern to the nurse/GP.  

It's difficult - on the one hand we want to make sure you are fully informed.  On the other, we don't want to overload with too much information.  Some people like lots of information, others feel overwhelmed.  Personally, I think all women starting depo should be warned of the risk of weight gain and lowering bone density.

AllNewTB - that was unlucky with the steroids.  While I know that time contraints mean you can't always check everything with the GP while you are in the room, I would always recommend you read the patient information leaflet that comes with the medication.  I know most drugs have a side effect list as long as your arm (and can be quite scary!), but at least if you start getting unusual symptoms you can link it quickly to the use of the drug.  

Lix
16/12/2010 at 16:16
"Personally, I think all women starting depo should be warned of the risk of weight gain and lowering bone density. "

could NOT agree more.Thanks for this. Is it right that the depo causes your body to imitate menopause?

@AllNewTB your story sounds so similar to mine. It sucks hey? Rest assured though things will get back to normal. I'm sure I have said this before but working with a pt reeeeally kickstarted my metabolism into functioning again. I have managed to lose 50lbs and my mental health is much improved now the drug is fully out my system (2 yrs on!). You WILL get there.

I think we'll beging to see an improvement in how medical professional recommend this drug (or otherwise).

Madness.
16/12/2010 at 17:48
Lix wrote (see)
Is it right that the depo causes your body to imitate menopause?

Kind of. 

The depo stops the normal rise in oestrogen levels to prevent ovulation, which is why the risk of bone density loss (It also changes the lining of your womb and the mucus in your cervix).  Lower oestrogen levels are present in menopause, but many of the symptoms of menopause are caused by relatively low levels of progesterone.  Obviously, low progesterone levels are not present with the depo.

In some ways, the depo causes your body to mimic early pregnancy rather than menopause.

21/12/2010 at 12:52

I think I was really lucky when I went on it.  But then, I do really, really like my local GP practice - doctors and nurses there are, in general, a great bunch.

I only chose to go on depo after a succession of bad experiences with other contraceptives.  I was given loads of information beforehand, and before every new injection was always asked - in detail - about how I was managing on it, whether I was experiencing any side effects etc.

I'll be perfectly honest - if it weren't for wanting to get pregnant at some point in the near future, I'd be quite happy to stay on it.  I had no side effects while I was receiving the injections.

Latest annoyance - spots.  So nice in the run-up to Christmas when I want to look my best and all that.

I feel like a bloody teenager. 

However, I guess I'm very, very lucky in my experiences so far, compared to others on here...

06/01/2011 at 16:05
Hello all
Happy New Year.

Went to see my GP this morning to discuss coming off depo because of the weight issue. I've been put on a mini-pill and MrANTB has gone on the waiting list for a vasectomy.

Then I went to see a consultant about my asthma. He says it's got as worse as it has because of my weight and I need to drop a stone. I was so upset I nearly cried. Not only have I been putting all this effort into losing weight and getting no where, the extra weight I'm carting around is affecting my health in a not insubstantial way.

So, now I'm totally reinvigorated and very keen to keep on trying to lose weight. My only worry is that it seems to take a long time for the depo to leave my system. I had my last jab in October, so fingers crossed it won't be continuing to have an effective on my weight for too much longer.
06/01/2011 at 16:28

I was totally miserable & put on huge amounts of weigh whilst on depo, though the vast amounts for junk food and no exercise were prolly the main factor.  What I did find out from the docs when I started to lose weight, was that it was virtually impossible to shift it before coming off the depo.

My new doctor suggested a break from DP and I found the weigh started to drop off with running and a decent diet.  I cant blame the depo for the weight gain, but according to the doctor it was definitely a contributing factor.

I'm now 7 years off the drug, and fitter than I ever was on it.

06/01/2011 at 16:30
Vickie - can I ask how quickly you noticed the weight coming off?

Well done on losing it all
06/01/2011 at 16:34

It prolly took about 4 months, then it all started to go pretty quickly, of course the more I lost, the better I felt and the more I ran, so the more I lost. 

Running is good

And having a new loving and supportive bloke helped too

06/01/2011 at 16:37
Ah, that sounds lovely, thank you!
22/08/2011 at 13:32

Hi all

Hope you can help.  I was on depo for many years with no probs, however I was due for a jab in January and decided not to have it and thought I could do with a break from it.

I am on my second most painful period and I have gained about 8lbs in weight, my boobs really ache and hurt all the time and my running has been affected terribly, I've slowed down from averaging 8.30 min miles to 9.30/10.00 min miles and its such an effort.

I went to see docs, had all the blood tests and nothing wrong and doc and nurse seem to think I'm peri-menopausal.  As the last two periods have been so painful (I have endometriosis), I decided I should just go back on the depo and have an appointment this evening.

However, I am now wondering if that's a good thing, if that is what has caused all my probs from coming off the depo and perhaps I should just leave it and let my body settle down.

The weight gain and rubbish running is my biggest worry.

Help!

27/08/2011 at 08:24

Movement can not be over. Physical capacity should be paid attention to. Hope everyone is good.

prettyimpress

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.