Gradual onset of groin strain

3 messages
19/06/2013 at 06:22

Hi there all,

I'd describe myself as an average club runner - running so 20 - 30 miles a week when fit. I have been suffering from the occurrence of a groin strain on and off for the last 10 years or so - and was wondering if anyone has had the same symptoms and if so what they have done to have it sorted?

The pain happens slowly - not your classic idea of a groin strain, when you pull something during a run or in a game of football. It creeps up on me almost during the day, at work, or at home - on either side, sometimes a slight pain, other times becoming painful enough for me to have to do a passable imitation of a John Wayne walk! When its like this running is completely out of the question disrupting the training. Mostly it disappears after a day or so. This can happen once or twice a month – or I can have a few months when it never happens at all.

I am now working on core stability a lot more to see if that strengthens the core and prevents it from happening as frequently as it has. Anyone suffered from the same kind of thing I wonder?

03/07/2013 at 08:42

Hi m8 like you I;m an average club runner and I have suffered over the Past month with a very similar problem.

2 weeks ago the ache/pain came on and I had to jog back to the club, I rested for 4 days then continued running without a problem until last night.

last night when on a club run I got to about 4 miles then had to stop and stretch to ease the pain in my groin.

I also noticed that when pushing hard on the flat the worse the pain got.

I managed to finish the run but only at a gentle jog, over the weekend I had ran two 7 miler hill runs witout any pain at all.

this morning when pressing my thumb into the area it feels bruised and is slightly achey.

Im unsure if stretching is a good idea or not or just to rest it, but i need my running fix to keep me sane.

03/07/2013 at 11:18

Hi there Paul - I'm currently groin-strain-free - though absolutely no guarantee it wont come back again Ive been doing a few core stability exercises - 5 or 6 times a week actually - a little session that takes about 15 minutes to complete. Not sure if its helping the specific issue - but cant HURT now can it?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.