Groin & Inner Thigh

Rested, no better. Desperate now.

2 messages
19/04/2011 at 21:28

I ran a 32 mile event last year on a hilly Dartmoor course (Discovery). I'm ok with that distance, and I train on the moor, but I was not as well prepared as I usually am. 

Roughly 25 miles in I got pre-curser warnings of cramp in my right thigh, front of.

I stopped, lifted my right foot up behind me to do a simple and gentle stretch of the front of my right thigh.

As I was raising my foot I triggered a horrific cramping in my upper inner right thigh and groin area on right hand side.

I could have cried for the pain, it is unlike anything I have ever felt before. If hell is big hot knives ripping into muscles, this was hell on earth.

I decided to gently plod on. 

I crossed the line hours after my planned time and was in tatters.

Since then, my groin/inner thigh area has never been clear of  a niggle sensation. I can run but I'm not pain free. My bike is a definate no no - it causes the pain to flair massively for days afterwards.

This has beaten physios, it's beaten complete and sustained rest and ice treatments, cold baths, you name it.

I would be really grateful if anyone has any stretches and exercise I should practice on a regular basis. (

Thank you

09/05/2011 at 16:01

hi! delayed response I know, but thought i'd reply anyway cause I know how painful and frustrating this is. it sounds really similar to an injury I developed about 4 months ago now. happened after a 17-miler while training. was ok during the run, but had done a lot of exercise over a couple of days (long cycle rides, nights out in high heels: not great for the legs) and something didn't feel right after. the next day i woke up in screaming agony unable to walk, with what felt like a vice over the top of my thigh, with pain stretching deep into my groin. after a week of proper hobbling i took myself to the physio who diagnosed me with hip flexor tendonitis. he gave me acupuncture (amazing!) and deep-tissue massages once a week. he also provided me with great stretches and strengthening exercies. i stopped all running and other forms of exercise for 2 weeks (litrally killed me. i was miserable), but gradually started to introduce cross training into my life (elliptical and cycling). did this for 3 months, and in the meantime every walking step was agony. i couldn't even think about running when walking was so painful so i tried to forget about it.

two weeks ago i decided i wanted to try running again as i had no pain while walking and foam-rolling my inner thigh was no longer excrutiating. i was SO slow but it was incredible! my fitness went a bit, but i can still run longer distances (did 10 miles on sunday!) LOADS of ice after, and about half an hour spent stretching but think i am finally recovered.

i know this is awful to hear but you must stop running. it will be worth it in the end.

good luck!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.