Groin Injury-Help!

5 messages
22/01/2007 at 11:31
Hi All
I am a FLM first timer and out on a long run on Saturday I felt real discomfort in my groin. I stopped running and have been applying the R.I.C.E method and taking Ibuprofen.
About 2 years ago I hurt the area during a 10k race. Ended up in A and E because it hurt so much-followed their advice and it could better but I didn't had physio on it.

I have been running regularly since and sometimes feel tenderness after long runs but it seems worse than before.

I have booked an appointment to see a physio but just wondered if anyone has suffered anything similar?

Any ideas or advise? I'm really worried as I don't want to miss the marathon!

22/01/2007 at 11:49
Sorry-bad spelling in the first message-am new to the site and panicking...I should have said:

'Hi All
I am a FLM first timer and out on a long run on Saturday I felt real discomfort in my groin. I stopped running and have been applying the R.I.C.E method and taking Ibuprofen.
About 2 years ago I hurt the area during a 10k race. Ended up in A and E because it hurt so much-I followed their advice and it got better so I didn't have physio on it.

I have been running regularly since and sometimes feel tenderness after long runs but it seems worse than before.

I have booked an appointment to see a physio but just wondered if anyone has suffered anything similar?

Any ideas or advise? I'm really worried as I don't want to miss the marathon!'
22/01/2007 at 12:02
Well I used to have groin problems on distance running but found that the wonders of Lycra shorts did away with them completely! (No kidding) It keep the muscles warm and elastic and supports the muscles. It doesn't chafe either and if you wear the lycra shorts under a loose pair of normal shorts or wear the full length ones you won't look like a Mr. Motivator era reject! (oh and it prevent certain other discomforts from body temp dropping during long runs!! ;-)
Believe in the power of Lycra!
22/01/2007 at 12:30
Thanks ChiefRunningBare

I have also just read that groin pain could
be to do with posture etc-i wonder if the lycra helps you in that way too as it supports you a bit more doesn't it.

Did you have to have physio or anything?

I'm worried that my problem may need sorting properly before I can try these kinds of things....

22/01/2007 at 12:40
Well, I'd advise you to see that physio before putting into practice any advice you get here... I can only speak for myself in that this worked for me... but no I had no physio or anything. However on my advice, 2 of my male friends tried the Lycra test and have been very positive about the results. But again, I'm not an expert.. yet.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.