groin strain injury

can I keep running

21 to 25 of 25 messages
31/01/2013 at 15:27

This all sounds really familiar to me! I've been suffering from a groin strain for the last 4 months, I assume it's because I didn't rest it properly.

Also, it's probably down to the fact that I strained my groin 2 and a half years ago and I don't think it healed properly, i.e. scar tissue etc.

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and pay for physio, I've been injured so long that I didn't want to wait to have it done on the NHS. Off for my second session tomorrow so I'm hoping I'll be healed in a few weeks maybe.

Craig Richardson 9 wrote (see)

Deep heat is good but be careful in that area, I found out the hard way, do get get any deep heat on sensitive parts. Lol it really hurts

Haha so I'm not the only one that found out the hard way! I agree, it is very painful should you get it in the wrong place

01/02/2013 at 00:03

I agree, core work will help, plus what worked for me also were walking lunges and squats, loads of them. I've mainly had achilles problems rather than upper leg problems, but would occasionally have to take time off for thigh strains, including one where I seemed to be able to feel all the vibrations going up my femoral shaft while running.

With that last one, I rested for a month or so, then started adding in walking lunges while walking round my usual running route, and standing squats. Six months on, my upper legs now feel very steely and I am running three of four 10k distances every week, with no twinges whatsoever.

My legs weren't conditioned properly before - when I started doing the walking lunges I could feel a massive burn on the inside of the thighs after doing 10 or 20 lunges, and I was wobbling while doing them - now they're pretty easy. My adductor muscles in particular have got much bigger, which is bad news as my suit trousers will now go threadbare on the inside top of the leg where my legs rub against each other. Glutes have also got harder.

I feel more confident about avoiding groin/upper leg injures now - good luck.

01/02/2013 at 07:58

Thanks for the tips. I think one of the main reasons I might have suffered another groin injury was probably down to using the 'Hip Adductor' at the gym.

My adductors would feel really sore for a couple days afterward but I just thought it was normal and continued with other exercise (e.g. running)... bad idea I imagine!

I just wasn't sure if it could be a bad idea me using the Cross Trainer at the minute though? I've been injured for quite some time, and although I feel virtually fine most of the time and when walking etc, I now feel so paranoid about setting my injury off again.

I know I'm definitily not fit to start running again but I'm hoping using the Cross Trainer mainly with my upper body should be okay?

01/02/2013 at 10:58

Cross trainer should be fine.  Don't use the sit-down Adductor or Abductor machines at the gym - they don't strengthen your muscles for running!   If running involved spreading your legs in and out while being in a sitting position then it would be ideal.  As it is it doesn't and you could be be making issue worse!   Try one leg squats and side steps (hops as you get stronger) and multi-directional lunges - they will all strengthen your aductors and gluts in the way they need for running.

01/02/2013 at 11:53
Runners Therapist wrote (see)

Cross trainer should be fine.  Don't use the sit-down Adductor or Abductor machines at the gym - they don't strengthen your muscles for running!   If running involved spreading your legs in and out while being in a sitting position then it would be ideal.  As it is it doesn't and you could be be making issue worse!   Try one leg squats and side steps (hops as you get stronger) and multi-directional lunges - they will all strengthen your aductors and gluts in the way they need for running.

Thanks however I was just doing lower and upper body workouts in general really, not so much to help with running exactly. I just tend to do a bit of running to help keep fit

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.