groin/hip/thigh injury

what exactly have I done?

18 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
05/09/2006 at 19:19
been noticing some pain right at the very top of my thigh for some weeks now, but it's getting worse. Now when I get up from a chair or sofa, or get out of bed, or even just start moving, I get a sudden stab of pain. I also feel it driving my car, when I put the clutch in. It's difficult to decide where exactly it is, my hip is aching a bit but the pain seems localized right where my thigh joins my torso, not right in the groin but more to the center of the thigh. I've never had anything like this in all my years of active sport. Have I pulled something, or could it be more serious?
05/09/2006 at 19:22
could be your siatic nerve
M...eldy    pirate
05/09/2006 at 19:27
sounds very similar to sciatic or Sacro Illiac pain ...
05/09/2006 at 19:30
im a bricklayer and sometimes after a hard run, when i bend over i get a sudden pain shooting down the back of my leg
05/09/2006 at 19:33
Im wondering more about your femoral nerve actually
05/09/2006 at 20:00
it's in the front of my leg, not the back so I don't think it's sciatic. Hipps, where's the femoral and what do I need to do about it?
M...eldy    pirate
05/09/2006 at 20:03
ok - I misunderstood :-)

I'll leave you in Hippos capable hands!
05/09/2006 at 20:04
coulf be a groin (adductor) prob

or pain from your hip joint

Physio to assess properly?
05/09/2006 at 20:05
meldy dear, I'm sure your hands are more than capable too.
05/09/2006 at 21:25
I exactly have the same pain as Iron Wolf. Anybody has a clue?
05/09/2006 at 21:26
I'd need to examine you, Ironwolf.
06/09/2006 at 05:59
OK Vrap, I get the message. Visit to the doc is called for.
06/11/2006 at 11:36
Thank goodnes I've found others with this problem. Has anyone had a diagnosis yet? If so what's the cure? I'm so frustrated as no matter what I do, the pain persists.

The symtoms are exactly as you have all described, tho it's really difficult to pin-point exactly where the pain is coming from. I've rested, heated, iced, physio'd.

Any other suggestions as I have a race in afew weeks and won't be able to do it in my present condition?

Thanks RR
06/11/2006 at 14:06
I had similar and it turned out to be a pulled tensor fascia latae - think this might be quite unusual though!

cure was lots of physio - laser treatment, and so much stretching on a yellow pages that that leg moves more than the other one now.
06/11/2006 at 15:24
Thanks Smackie

Blimey...this sounds serious. Laser treatment? I'm off to the docs on Thurs and will mention this. How long were you off running? I'm struggling, but still running (v.slowly) at the moment, am I doing more harm by doing this?

RR
07/11/2006 at 07:41
I was off about two and a half months, though the first month was before i could get to see the physio and was in so much pain i could hardly walk. I didn't stop limping when walking till four or five months after the injury, though I managed to run a marathon a couple of months after that.

Couldn't say whether it would do more harm or not to try, unfortunately i wasn't in the position to have a go! For what it's worth, i've no idea how effective or otherwise the lasers are. Believe they work well for horses.

Hope you're feeling stronger soon, and sorry if my experience sounds very negative - i've not met anyone else who's torn this muscle so you may well be much better off than i'm suggesting, just thought it might be an avenue worth exploring
07/11/2006 at 09:33
Smackie

Sorry to hear you were having so much pain.

I'm glad to say I don't think my problem is anywhere near as grand scale as what you had. I think I have a nerve related
ailment.

Not sure what treatment that entails. I just keep applying heat which eases it.

The thought of being off for two months terrifies me though.

Thanks for the advice, hope you're feeling better!

RR
07/11/2006 at 12:24
Ironwolf, did you ever get to the bottom of your pain? I have a pain in what I think is the hip flexor, on the right. Mainly when I swim, but it is starting to happen more often, and during other activities....just wondered what I should do about it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.