Hamstring recovery

When to start running again...

3 messages
15/05/2013 at 10:29

Hi All

I'm currently training for my first half marathon in July and was up to around 6 miles on my long run and running 12/13 miles a week...until I tweaked my hamstring!

Believe it or not it wasn't running that hampered me it was a day grafting in the garden! Typical!

Well that was 2 1/2 weeks ago now and I've been icing and resting for 2 of those weeks and have been doing a bit of slow swimming this week. It feels a lot stronger and I'm going to try a run this Sunday.

The question I have though is should I strap it? or is it better to see how it naturally is running?

Help?!

15/05/2013 at 10:39

does it still feel tight?

Have you tried a foam roller? I had a tight hamstring that was still niggling a few weeks after a race, so I bought a foam roller.  Much improved after one session, completely gone after the second.

15/05/2013 at 10:43

Ooh sounds good, I'll give that a go.

Not tight anymore and no aches after swimming so I think I'm ok.

It's just the strapping I'm wondering about...do I need it or is it best to just see how it is without?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.