hamstring?

11 messages
20/08/2014 at 14:57
Hi ive been running for 5 years and for the last year ive had a recurring pain at top of hamstring where it joins buttock. When I roll my glute with a ball it hurts in the middle of glute and hamstring. I cant stride out without it hurting and do lots of stretching but it doesn't seem to stretch in the right place, also do glute and hip strength exercises
20/08/2014 at 20:56

Have you seen a physio? If it's been going on for that long whatever you are doing is obviously not working so you need to change some things. 

20/08/2014 at 21:05
Not yet-seems to get better then worse, tends to be when I'm trying flat fast run when I usually do fells
Red_dog_chris    pirate
20/08/2014 at 22:05

I've had similar, could be high ham tendonitis or piriformis syndrome. I've been doing excercises recommended by physio, google piriformis excercices I'm sure they will be there, plus massage. It has helped but I have pain in my foot now lol can't win.

20/08/2014 at 22:09
Yes I was thinking along the lines of tendonitis as when rolling on a ball it feels like I'm almost * twanging* something1
Red_dog_chris    pirate
20/08/2014 at 22:12

It's not nice

22/08/2014 at 13:51

I had/have exactly the same issue.  I saw the physio for about 8 weeks last year - no real diagnosis but lots of massage and stretching which did not help greatly.  I have since really ramped up my general stretching routine and made an attempt to get out of my office chair a bit more during the day as I am convinced the root cause is tight hip flexors.   It's not 100% gone but these changes made much more difference than the physio. 

02/09/2014 at 13:05

ive had similar for a year , turned out to be sciatica , which felt like a hamstring strain

02/09/2014 at 16:54
Mmm have been stretching more and doesn't seem to be as bad, going fir a massage this week to see if that makes a difference too
03/09/2014 at 18:40

Rule of 3's - this is a really tricky area.

Either insertional hamstrings (likes to be stretched and eccentrically loaded), sciatic nerve (hates to be stretched and fails under too much load) or an ischial bursa that sits and squabbles between the hamstring and nerve (likes a bit of both and hates a bit of both)

Anything south of you hammy has nerve involvement, but it may be a symptom rather that a cause.

Tricky....

03/09/2014 at 19:30
Not south of hamstring-its almost like its on my * sitting bone* and can touch the pain when I roll on a hard ball, very deep. Can't stretch out and lifting same leg hurts too and now front of knee on same leg hurts, can't squat as can't put too much weight on it

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.