Headache after long run

Question from a newbie poster

6 messages
06/12/2012 at 22:31

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but after I complete a long run I suffer with strong headaches. The most recent example was last sunday after the Full Monty Cute 10Mile. I am very careful to ensure I drink enough without drinking too much, but maybe I need to take on more water.

To relieve the pain I normally take Iburprofen, which I understand is not the best for recovery, but it seems the only way to carry on with the day.

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, but have resisted for some reason. 

06/12/2012 at 22:45

Yes I used to get these too. They generally boil down to dehydration plus lack of salts and minerals lost though sweating........

I'd never recommend downing too much water after a long run without something salty & sugary. A huge mug of weak tea or a pint of weak warm cordial, four custard creams and a bag of Walkers salt and shake within 30 mins of finishing a long run works a treat.......no headaches nowadays; even after races with this routine!

07/12/2012 at 09:37

Thank you Jamie. Is it just custard creams?

I have been using the For Goodness Shakes powders, but think I have not been taking in enough salts post race.  Someone did mention that it might be tension in my upper back.

07/12/2012 at 09:38

I always find orange juice and doritos work wonders after a long run!

As for during, you can make your own rehydration drink quite cheaply, The formula is:

1 pint water
3-4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp table salt.
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

(although i find my stomach doesnt like the bicarb sometimes so i might leave it out)

07/12/2012 at 10:52

Hi,

Do you get achy or tight shoulders after a long run?  Tight muscles in your upper back can create tension in your neck muscles, which could cause headaches.  Dehydration and/or lack of salts in the muscles will make it worse.   

Deep tissue Massage or Cranio-sacral Therapy can help.

07/12/2012 at 11:04

Hi Runners Therapist

I do get tight shoulders, this could be my posture when I run, I haven't really taken any advice on it. After the responses above it seems to be a combination of the two.

Thank you all for your help

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.