Help me and my knee!

16 messages
01/03/2010 at 13:18

Hello everybody,

After progressing well in my marathon training (Brighton in seven weeks) and completing 16 miles last Sunday (a week ago yesterday) my right knee has started to hurt.

The pain comes about when I put weight on it and is located just under the knee cap on the inside of the knee.

Any ideas?

I don't think it's ITBS as i've had this in both knees before and am religious in my foam roller use, I've got the 'right' shoes for me (and have bought some new ones in case mine have given up) so I'm a bit stumped.

The reason I'm stumped is because I can still run on it but I can 'feel' something there all the time. I've taken most of the last week off but don't want to take much more time as I'll start going backwards in the training.

I've been cycling and rowing down the gym which doesn't hurt it at all.

I think it was the hill running session a couple of weeks ago that did it, and I specifically think it was running down hill that did it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  

01/03/2010 at 16:30

Hi Jimmyhedge,

Well done on the 16!

3 possible injuries spring to mind (i'm not even considering problems within the knee joint):

1. Patella tendonitis - overuse of the tendon from your knee cap to the shin bone. Aggravated by distance, down hills and poor mechanics.

2. Fat pad irritation  - pretty much the same issues as above

3. patello-femoral pain (not likely as this usually manifests behind the knee cap).

More than likely it is #1:

I would recommend using ice, stretching and aggressive deep tissue release of the quads - (therapist or roller). You need to let it settle and then start with flat easy runs, stay away from hills and speed until you feel it is durable again.

If it lasts more than 2 weeks then I would suggest you see your physio for diagnosis and further assistance. You may want to see your GP for anti-inflammatory medication.

Hope this helps

Keep Going!

Savs

07/03/2010 at 16:09
hi there,

Im having a similar sort of problem with my left knee. Im due to take part in the kilomathon next Sunday, so Im now quite concerned!! It happened about a week and a half ago when doing a tempo pace on the treadmill!! I too have suffered from ITB, and found the foam roller worked wonders for me!
The pain I am now getting is similar to Jimmyhedge, and is on the inner side of the left knee. I can feel the pain when Im running, and also post run for the following couple of days!! Walking up and down the stairs is very painful! The knee cap itself almost feels bruised when i touch it, and the pain when running is around the inner side of the knee cap, and runs up my leg slightly....not sure that this makes sense!!
Any advice on how to ease the pain, and improve my situation would also be greatly appreciated! Savs- Do you think my problem is similar to Jimmyhedge?

Good luck with your training for the Brighton Marathon!!

Ang
08/03/2010 at 14:52

Hi Ang

This looks like it may be more a patello-femoral issue. With the distance and speed you're running there may be stress going through a misaligned knee cap causing irritation to the surrounding tissues.

The fact that you are feeling it more to the inside makes me wonder about you leg alignment/mechanics - is your leg collapsing inwards as you take the load on impact?

Immediate treatment is Ice and meds (speak to your doc or physio about this).

I would see your physio about this one - if it is a patello-femoral issue - you could using taping to re-align patella / help reduce the strain on the tissues.

Hope this helps - Good luck

Savs

08/03/2010 at 19:42
Hi Savs,

Thank you for your advice, will certainly do as you recommend! Gonna book my appointment for asap! Just hope it holds out for the run on the weekend!

I'm not to sure if my leg is collapsing inwards, I haven't really noticed it, but that's not to say that it isn't happening.

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice.

Ang
08/03/2010 at 20:15

Jimmyhedge,

Can i ask you a question? You say that you've had ITB in both knees and that you use a roller. I'm currently in training for the VLM and think i've just got it in my right knee, a sharp pain on the outside of the knee joint. It's been niggling for a few weeks but having just completed the Llanelli Half on Sunday, the pain was quite bad. Can you give me some advice on treatment? I'm icing it well and using Ibugel but am due for a couple of runs this week. Any advice would be greatfully appreciated especially the roller or vene a tennis ball?

Richard

08/03/2010 at 20:52
Hi there Richard,

Congrats on the recent success of doing the Llanelli run! It is a very beautiful run. I have experienced a similar problem on my left knee, and found the foam roller to work wonders! I struggled for quite some time before I purchased the roller, and found that the problem went virtually overnight! If you havent used a roller you can pick them up on-line very cheap. They have very good exercises on u-tube if you do a search. Very simple and easy to follow...but be warned is very painful, so take it easy on your first couple of goes.

Hope this little information is helpful.

Good luck with the VLM.

Angela
09/03/2010 at 09:46

Hi Angela,

Many thanks fr the kind words and the advice. I'll certainly look on the net for the foam roller and see how that helps. I'll let you know how i get on. Once again, many thanks.

Richad

09/03/2010 at 10:48

Hey Angela and others,

Once you get tired of the roller or feel it is no longer effective, try 2 tennis balls taped together...! (Also a lot cheaper and easier to get hold of)

he, he

Savs

09/03/2010 at 11:29

Thought I'd jump in on this thread to convey how much I love my foam roller.

Like the others in this thread I suffered from ITB in both legs after starting running last year.  I took a month off before I started my marathon training and purchased a roller.  It is quite simply the best thing I have purchased.  Got one reasonably cheap on ebay and since then I've not had any ITB pain at all, even after the 20 milers.  It hurts like hell when you start using it but stick with it and with a bit of luck it will sort you out for good.

09/03/2010 at 11:36

Hi Gilly,

Thanks for  that. Just ordered mine so lets hope it sorts my knee out!

Richard

09/03/2010 at 14:34
Please tell me what a foam roller is and where I can get one!!!! Like Jimmy I have Brighton in a few weeks and have suddenly developed pain in my knee. It is on the outside and goes under the knee cap. I see all my hopes and dreams being dashed as I am not going to be fit enough to run, however if I don't train, I also won't be fit enough to run. I know mine is not "runners knee as I have had that. the knee is not painful to touch, not warm and only slightly swollen. I ran for 2 hours on sunday and only felt a niggle at 1.40, then when I stopped it was suddenly agony and the knee gave way, after a bit of strtching, the pain eased off, but I have pain all the time now. It almost feels like somethng is rubbing and if I move it suddenly I get a really painful twinge. going downstairs hurts the most. Please help, I am beside myself. went to accupuncturist who did all the usual checks of the knee and he couldn't find anything. If I go to the doctor I know he will simply say stop running and as I am sure you all understand, I can't!!
09/03/2010 at 15:01

Hi Sandi,

I've just ordered one from Amazon @ £13.99 + P&P (link attached). Interesting to see you've also had runners knee. I completed the LLanelli half on Sunday in prep for the VLM in April and the pain hit me later in the afternoon. It's a lot better now but no pain to the touch, no swelling and no heat!

Richard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home4physio%C2%AE-LENGTH-BLUE-FOAM-ROLLER/dp/B002IKO2YU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1268146785&sr=8-2 

09/03/2010 at 15:17
Thanks so much Richard, living in Swizterland I can't get hold of a lot of the things people suggest, so amazon is perfect. I am really hoping it is not ITB, but your injury does sound just like mine. Well lets get "rollering" and hope for the best, at least you have one more wekk to train than me!!!!!
09/03/2010 at 15:21
No problem, let's hope you can get one delivered! Good luck.
09/03/2010 at 21:17
Went to the local sport shop and got a foam roller! Cost a couple of pound and found some exercises on the internet, so I have already started!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.