Help Please.

Throwing up whilst running.

7 messages
12/05/2011 at 14:13

Hi I need some help and advice please?

I have been running for some years now and have always enjoyed my running.  For the past three years now I have starting being sick during my chosen events (Marathons) and even during maintenance runs.  This results in my inability to rehydrate as well as I should due to not being able to keep the fluids down. 

To give any responders a bit more information;  this normally affects me after about 4 to 6 miles and stays for unspecified periods but no longer than 10 miles.  It starts with me coughing up phlegm and it is this action that I believe brings on the final action of actually being sick.

As previously stated the only down side to me being sick as the failure to ensure that my body remains hydrated and this in turn affects running times. 

Can anyone please advise on what the problem may be and hopeful to stop being sick please? My goal is to become a member of the 100 Marathon Club, so it is absolutely essential that I keep on top of this.  Thank you in advance for any help or advice. 

Jonny

12/05/2011 at 14:53

If its absolutely essential then you should ask a GP, could be that your hocking up phlegm so its triggering your sick reflexes? Have you changed something you're fuelling with?

I get cramps at certain points in a run that i attribute to my body just getting used to the activity, could be that.....?

Could be that or the extra adrenaline, nerves, excitment getting to your body, can't be nice so good luck getting it sorted.

12/05/2011 at 15:06

Thank you for your response.

My Doctor is pretty naff so I’m reluctant to see him.  I think you might be right with triggering my sick reflexes, so really I need to deal with the excess Phlegm issue?  I use the SIS squeeze’s for the Marathons but never during my midweek runs, so I’m kind of thinking I could rule this out? Once again thank you for taking the time to respond. 

Jonny.  

12/05/2011 at 23:02
Wow you get this and still plan to run 100 marathons? Hats of to you! I find them hard enough wothout the puking! But yes doctors - you do have the right to try another doctor if yours is crap.Perhaps try something other than the SIS squeezes? Some of these gels etc can stimulate phlegm - I use the lucozade gels but can only stomach/swallow 1/2 in one go.
12/05/2011 at 23:13

Jeremy,

Thank you also for your response, think I will take yours and the previous person’s advice and go see the quack but ask for a different one.  The 100 Club is my goal and I aim to be there in year 3 to 4 I started my quest on the 30th January this year and completed my 10th last Sunday at my home Club of Halstead (great race!) and have the 1st ever Royal Park Marathon (Richmond) followed by the Edinburgh and then the North Essex Circular all before the end of the month.  As such I need to get this resolved sharpish.  

Jonny

22/05/2011 at 18:49
This exact thing used to happen to me as well. I was eventually diagnosed last year with a small stomach ulcer and I'm now on longterm medication that stabilises the acid in my gut. Could be worth a trip to gp x
25/05/2011 at 07:54
Thank you Anji.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.