Help! Sore shins

5 messages
24/10/2002 at 22:27
Hi,
I'm running the Dublin marathon on Monday but over the past week I've been experiencing a lot of pain in my shins when I run. I;ve had shin splints before and it's not quite as bad but my step and pace are definitely affected. I won't be running any more between now and Monday but I'm terrified that my shins will hurt on the day and prevent me from running properly. Is there anything I can do?
Thanks,
Clare
24/10/2002 at 22:35
Clare -as its an emergency... beg Pennsaid Topical solution off your doctor tomorrow morning - (it's a stronger form of Volterol) It took 3 days to numb my shins for FLM this year - I was really worried the night before becos they hurt so much in the hotel swimming pool - but on the day - they were numb!

Also Ice / ultrasound / and I used magnets as well. You can get disposable plasters with mini magnets from Boots - which you place over each shin splint - worked for me I think they increase the circulation which helps shift the inflammation. But if you use them then you can't get the Pennsaid Topical solution on unless you transfer the magnets onto a fresh plaster each time

PS I reversed the magnets as I'm convinced the polarity is the wrong way!

Really Good Luck with the Marathon
All the Best

SS
25/10/2002 at 08:41
Thanks a million - will definitely give the Pennsaid solution a try,
Clare
27/10/2002 at 18:18
Hi Clare, I use a 200mg Ibrobruphen (Spelling!) 1 hour before I run when the shin pain is bad. By the time I start running the pain has gone and doesn't affect me for the next few hours. Nurofen seems to work for me. Good luck with the Marathon....
27/10/2002 at 19:15
The only possible problem with taking Ibuprofen as an oral painkiller is it can upset the stomach - it does for me pretty instantaneously!

Hope everything goes OK for you Clare - fingers crossed!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.