Hernia Operation

Advice from someone who has recently had one

1 message
24/07/2014 at 09:00

There's probably a few runners needing or about to have a hernia op. I looked for advice prior to mine and can now share my experience with others. It's only one person's experience and I'm not medically trained!

I had an repair to an inguinal hernia (the most common type). As it was my first op I was a bit nervous and (of course) wondered how it would affect my running. I'm 59 and a reasonably decent 5K runner (Parkruns around 21 mins).

I had 'open surgery' (not keyhole), general anaesthetic and was home on the same day.

First few days - pretty sore. Walking for 15 mins within a couple of days. Longer walks (up to 5 miles) by end of 2nd week. Today (exactly 3 weeks after the op.) have just got back from a 5K (slow) run and feel great. Obviously lost a bit of fitness (and speed) but also don't want to overdo it. And I'm rather hoping that the 3 week layoff has given my Achilles a bit of a rest ('every cloud......')

So - in case you are lined up for a similar op. this might cheer you up (there are plenty of horror stories out there). Oh yes: and it was on the NHS and everything was fine.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.