Hernia

Hernia within marathon training

3 messages
10/03/2013 at 17:20

Hi

I was in full training for Brighton Marathon and following a 18 mile session cut short through pain I have just been diagnosed with a scan showing almost likely a hernia in my lower abdomen. I don't really know much about them but had to pull out of Silverstone Half Marathon last weekend  as advised. Im waiting on a doctors appointment this week and due to do Brighton Marathon this year, although looking more and more unlikely.

Has anyone had any experience of hernias through marathon training. I tried to run this morning to see, only did 1 mile but there was bulge following.

Does a hernia always lead to an operation or can it improve with rest?

10/03/2013 at 18:03

I thought I had one, but proved to be strain only, it was painful at times, mainly after running, but I never got the bulging, I personally wouldn't push that.

11/03/2013 at 10:37

As far as Im aware it ok to push it back in, if it comes straight back out its a proper hernia, theres loads of info on google including a new type of procedure to fix it with a much quicker recovery time. I wouldnt do any exericise especially any lifting (obviously) and wait to see what your doctor says.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.