Herniated disc

Can I run again?

5 messages
04/02/2013 at 14:44

I have been suffering from a herniated disc (S1 L5 for the initiated) for ages. It is starting to improve and I am due to get it injected next week to speed recovery. Has anybody else had this?

Can I run again in the future?

Will it recur?

Any feedback would be great as the surgeon isn't a runner and doesn't understand the mania that drives us.

15/02/2013 at 12:30

Hi Agnes,

Looks like herniated discs are a rarity to runners. I have a question for you - i felt my back "GO" 7th Dec 2012. I suffered for a while before being recomended to a chiropractor who found i had misaligned vertabrae L4 / L5. Ive also had numerous visits to the Dr for painkillers and i had an MRI scan 4th Feb. Chiropractor straightened me up after 6 visits but sciatic pain is killing me. Dr has me on tramadol and Gebapestin and i have an appointemt to discuss MRI results 22nd Feb. Does this sound similar to your injury as you dont mention how long youve been injured for and what / where is the injection?. Herniated disc hasnt been diagnosed yet but from what ive read on the net im fairly sure its what i have. My last race was Dec 2nd and i havent ran since + my Dr doesnt seem to be to understand how important running is to me.

Good luck with your recovery

regards

dudley

15/02/2013 at 21:07

A herniated disc is what we used to call a 'slipped disc' years ago. Technically speaking, discs can't 'slip' out of place as such. What's happened is that the disc has developed a bulge which usually impringes on the sciatic nerve with the consequential 'referred pain,' as they call it. This is pain that manifests itself down the back of the leg but actually originates at the sight of the nerve impringement. Usually with rest, physiotherapy and moderate mobility the pain subsides. Core abdominal strength is part of the key to preventing reoccurrence, but you should stop running altogether with any symptoms before you embark on any rehabilitation program. You must talk to a qualified physio about this, I can only tell you of my own personal experience. A word of caution from someone who's been there: if you develop any numbness or loss of muscle function seek medical advice straight away as in the worst case scenario the disc can prolapse , which means that it ruptures and the soft core bulges out damaging the sciatic nerve. This happened to me in 1990 and I ended up in surgery. The good news is that the surgery is usually very successful and fortunately I am still running today but it takes quite a long recovery. You have my sympathies, I know how hard and frustrating it is, but be smart and patient, I bless every day that I'm out there running the roads and fields all these years later. 

18/02/2013 at 10:44

Thanks for that. I had a steroid injection into my disc last week and am hoping something will happen. The surgeon said it takes 10 days or so to work, so I will keep you posted.

25/02/2013 at 13:07

ive was recommended for surgery on Friday. So im currently waiting for an appointment with the nuero surgeon

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.