High Cholesterol

Just been tested again - not good

19 messages
17/07/2007 at 20:49
In a nutshell:

Mum had heart attack in 2002 at age of 59. Her docs thought it was due to hereditary gene which produces high cholestorol - FH I think the term is.

Anyway, I got tested that year at age 32. I was 5.3. Just got tested again on advice of my optician. Has gone up to 5.9. (my mum's was 6 at age 50!)

Going back to see doc in 3 weeks to discuss. Surely they have to put me on statins now? Just concerned as my docs don't do it until you hit 6. They just give you a diet sheet and tell you to do some exercise - yeah, riiiiiggghhhht.

To put it in context - I have a BMI of 20.8 through healthy eating and exercise (not naturally slim).

I am thinking of going privately on this as I am REALLY worried and my surgery is utterly sh*t. takes at least 4 weeks to get any sort of appointment normally.

Has anyone had similar experience? Am surprised at how worried and upset I feel.
17/07/2007 at 20:52
hi debster

it sort of depends on your other risk factors
if you dont have high BP , or kidney disease, or diabetes, it may not be cost effective to treat you

you also need the breakdown of HDL/LDL

statins may not be worth it for you-they arent without side effects

why did your optician say that?

have you got eye changes?
17/07/2007 at 20:59
She picked up on something Hipps - you probably know what it is they look for (can't remember).

I guess i'm worried because heart disease is rife on my mother's side of the family.

BP is normal. No kidney disease (although dad died of kidney cancer and had diabetes!)

I hear what you say about cost but really worried cos my cholesterol is as high as my mum's was at 50. My diet is very good and if anything my cholesterol should have remained static or reduced over the past 5 years. I suspect it will be 6 next year anyway at this rate.

I guess I'm just scared because I simply can't see what else I can do. I'd happily pay for statins just to stop worrying. I don't worry about any other aspect of my health really.

Erm, what sort of side effects, Hipps?
17/07/2007 at 21:01
muscle paind, insomnia, abnormal liver tests

I use statins loads
but at 5.9 in a very healthy individual otherwise, id want to discuss it too
17/07/2007 at 21:03
there isnt any rush about this

but you need a full FASTING profile, and then discuss pros and cons with GP
17/07/2007 at 21:05
Right - I see, thanks v. much Hipps. Well worth bearing in mind. Let's hope he wants to discuss it too.

He was v. dismissive when I had period pain. Had to go back and instead on seeing different doctor who then referred me for further treatment for endometriosis. You see why I've not much faith in him.

I shall try and be patient and see what he says - but if he does try and advise me on diet, I may have raise my voice!

I'll be calm until then..... very tempted to have a bag of chips just to rebel.
17/07/2007 at 21:06
why dont you change your GP then
it is important to trust your doc
17/07/2007 at 21:09
I am thinking (have been for a while) of going privately. Two of my colleagues at work have the same doctor who they really rate. I can afford it, so may as well.

If I knew there was a good NHS doc nearby I'd use them but sadly there isn't, so I'm a bit stuffed.

Bang go my principles!
17/07/2007 at 21:12
how do you know there isnt a good NHS doc

you just dont trust this one, so it seems pointless to go and see hom cos you wont believe what he says

there are plenty of good NHS docs out there
18/07/2007 at 08:09
Another issue to consider:

Statins will almost certainly reduce your cholesterol below 5.0 but, if'm correct in assuming that you are female, they may not reduce your cardiac risk. That's what the studies say anyway.
18/07/2007 at 08:40
Hope you get it sorted Debster.
18/07/2007 at 20:20
I agree with plodding absolutely! For me a bad Doctor is a disinterested one, like mine. Obviously higher cholestrol is not the only factor. I had a heart problem and yet mine is 3.5 or was last year.
18/07/2007 at 22:09
Debs, I used to work in cardiology research and as a runner with a very healthy diet and lifestyle I had my cholesterol checked and was horrified that it was 6.3 (heart disease is rife in my family too) but when I discussed it with the cardiologists they told me diet on its own has NO impact on cholesterol levels and that it normally is genetic, they told me that because of my age (I'm 34) and the fact I eat healthily, am of normal weight and exercise my risk factors are very small and it would only be worth treating if I didn't exercise, were overweight and ate like sh**

I've never had iot checked since as I can't see the point

I don't want to go on statins as I don't think they would be of any benefit at this moment in time, as Peter has said above, cholesterol levels aren't the only factor that can cause heart problems
18/07/2007 at 22:09
thanks everyone for your posts. Been really helpful.

Still going to go privately. Hippo - I've seen the worst of the NHS in the past year (i.e. re my dad). i know there are good doctors in the NHS but the doctor my colleagues use comes highly recommended and I want time to talk this through. Not feel I have to be in and out in 2 mins, which is the policy of my surgery (not just the doc I have).

Feel reassured that high cholesterol not be all and end all though. Will have a good read around the subject.
18/07/2007 at 22:17
Just read your post fatgirlslim - really, really helpful. Thanks a lot. Seems like I might be worrying way too much, feel much better. Glad you've got some peace of mind too :-D
18/07/2007 at 22:22
Glad you feel reassured, I know exactly how you feel tho, esp when you've seen family members go through it, I just try and think that I'll try and live as healthy as I can without being fanatical and what will be will be, I want to try and enjoy my youth (what's left of it!) and not worry about things that may never happen
11/06/2010 at 17:03
Debster i would recommend you either tell your doctor how much this is really affecting you and how its stopping you sleep at night as your mother was affected by this also. If he doesnt sort his act out and your not happy go to a new doctor. I have high cholesteral and im only 24 years old. I have chronic kidney disease also and i used to take simvastatin i had no side effects what so ever from taking them but they said that i might get some. My GP told me i just had wind when i went to see him about my stomach blowing up like a balloon where really i had acute renal failure so dont just stick to one doctor if ur not happy like i wasnt go see another one and tell him/her that your not settling for it and you want it sorting out now.

If you have to make the biggest deal out of it you can to make them listen tell them its ruining your life and you wont be able to relax until you have had some serious test and treatment.
11/06/2010 at 19:34
Did they also split your result by what your LDL and HDL levels were?
22/10/2010 at 11:16
Reported

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.