Hip Hip No Way

Anyone else get sore hips?

5 messages
15/12/2002 at 22:09
I was out for my Long Run this morning. After less than a mile I started to notice a new pain (to join a Long Standing Knee Problem) as my hips started to hurt, particularly on the right side. I kept going for 7 miles or so but in the end had to abandon the run as I was too sore to go on. Even walking was hard this afternoon as a result of the pain.

Has anyone else had hip pain from running? I was wondering if anyone thought it could be related to a knee problem.

I do a lot of sit ups and press ups so it could be due to this rather than the running. But it's a new pain to me.

"Limping" Ping Pong Boy
15/12/2002 at 23:03
how do you do your sit ups - as incorrect form can put a strain on hipflexors - no straight legged sit ups or straight leg raises - always have knees bent to isolate abs

hips are closely tied in to leg and back muscle structure (including knee problems)so any imbalance there could cause a hip problem - rest is your first step but if it doesnt ease up after a few days then it may be worth getting checked out by a physio
15/12/2002 at 23:37
Cheers Bune. I tend to do 3 sorts of sit ups and normally 150 or so a day. Two of them are with the knees bent as suggested, the third and by far the toughest is with legs elevated slightly to emphasise the stomach muscles. I occasionally do a few straight legged sit ups. I'd never noticed my hips hurting before today but I did do a lot of sit ups last night (250).

I'll follow the advice and see how I feel lin a couple of days.
16/12/2002 at 10:37
I have just started getting hip pain too. It is accompanied by muscle pain all down the front of my leg above the knee. I don't know why this has started. I stopped running for 2 weeks to recover but it still niggles when I run and particuarly after a run for a day
16/12/2002 at 13:34
Hi Ping Pong Boy, sounds just like the problems I had when I first started running. Mine was caused by imbalance and an old hip injury which had left some grissly tissue. A trip to the Physio, coupled with the exercises she gave me, sorted me out immediately and I have not had the problem since.

I wholeheartedly recommend seeing a Physio as mine was extremely helpful, asked loads of questions and found the problem straight away. Good luck.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.