Hip pain

So after cross country season, my left hip would hurt occasionally after races. Now I'm doing track and it doesn't hurt as much. But last weekend I ran the 3000 Meter race in a meet and now it hurts again. This time the pain is more intense. I also notice

4 messages
08/01/2013 at 00:38
So after cross country season, my left hip would hurt occasionally after races. Now I'm doing track and it doesn't hurt as much. But last weekend I ran the 3000 Meter race in a meet and now it hurts again. This time the pain is more intense. I also noticed that my left knee has been locking randomly, and my left calve feels tight. My hip hurts to the point where I have to lay on my right side at night. Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I'm a high school athelete.
08/01/2013 at 10:59

You can't diagnose hip pain competently over the internet - just too many possible causes, many of which are relatively minor. Suggest you go to your GP who may refer you to a physio. It's not something you should ignore anyway. You can go direct to a sports physio if you prefer to avoid NHS delays; you'd have to pay but even one visit should at least give you an idea of what is wrong and what you can do to remedy it.

08/01/2013 at 11:41

Hi Molly. I used to, and sometimes still do, get a bit of pain in the left hip, although nothing as bad as what your's sounds like. I also tended to get all my niggles down the left side. Went to the physio and she very quickly diagnosed that my left hip was a bit higher than the right with less movement. She gave me a sequence of exercises to do every two days aimed at working the piroformis muscle as well as recommending more stretching / yoga in general. Things have gradually been better since. As the previous poster says, go to your GP and maybe get a referal to a physio.

08/01/2013 at 12:13
Thanks, and yeah I was planning on going to a doctor about it but I just wanted to get a general idea of what it was.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.