Hip

Pain in the Hip

12 messages
10/01/2007 at 16:54
I have recently developed pain in my right hip near the bone. I hoped it would go away but now it seems to constantly appear when I walk, run or go upstairs/downstairs. However when I sit down I feel no pain. I am currently training for the Reading Half Marathon so have increased my mileage. Does anyone know what it is or the best way to treat it.
10/01/2007 at 17:07
Could it be ITBS?

I ended up with that last year and it lumbered me with a 3 month layoff because I didn't rest when symptoms began! Ultrasound scan dignosed it, treated with physio and rest.

Hope that's of some help to you and hope it gets better soon.
10/01/2007 at 17:11
sal, try the physio, its your best bet. be money well spent. ;0)
10/01/2007 at 17:13
I wouldnt think it was ITBS , that is lower in the leg, I is probably due to the muscles that support the pelvis being weak, IE poor core stability and overworking of the butt muscels compensating for weakness in muscels in the upper leg and hip, and the hip has become instable, see a phsio for proper excercise, to strenghten these muscles.
10/01/2007 at 17:15
Hmmm, could still be ITBS NN. It's usually the knee, but can affect the hip.
10/01/2007 at 17:19
I good reason to seek professional advice OFF the forum, always too many conflicting ideas, do the wrong thing or take the wrong advice could make thing worse, as MF4 said money well spent.
10/01/2007 at 17:20
Agree with you NN, but I found the forum v. helpful. Not a substitute for a professional's diagnosis though.
10/01/2007 at 17:25
he's me thinking we're all professional's on this forum. can't think what I'm a pro at?????
10/01/2007 at 17:33
It sounds very similar to what I had last year when I started marathon training for the first time, it was easily sorted actually but I had to do loads of core work eeeekkkk !! sit ups etc, but opnce those muscles are kicked into gear they work to hold everything stable ...and a visit to the pysio worked wonders,actually stood in fron the mirror in just my undies (sorry) I could see my pelvis was higher one side than the other, she pulled me around abit and a click here and a click there and it was sorted I didnt even have to stop running.
10/01/2007 at 20:18
Thanks for your help all! I will definitely look into seeking help with a physio. I have a half marathon in a few months so would really like it sorted before then. I hope it does not affect my training. The sooner I am sorted the better, I don't do any additonal cross training or sit ups etc. I do stretch out before and after which could be why. My fault these exercises do not give me the same buzz like running!!
10/01/2007 at 20:29
Do you think Massage might help?
05/07/2009 at 10:33

Hi Sal,

I've just developed pretty much the same thing this last month (see my post last night) but i have been doing core work at the gym etc and so was wondering what worked for you in the end?

Here's hoping you still subscribe to RW.

Cheers,

Ross

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.