How can I sort out my glutes without getting even skinnier elsewhere? Help!

7 messages
19/08/2012 at 21:10

Hi everyone

I'm 22 with a BMI of about 19. Never had a problem with my actual weight - hate fast food, don't drink much alcohol etc, BUT whilst at university (a couple of years ago now), I got into the habit of eating a LOT of chocolate etc when studying in the evenings.

I'm much healthier now, and whilst my diet isn't perfect it's ten times better than it was at university. I work out a lot - currently training for a half marathon, so am running at least three times a week and sometimes doing other stuff too like swimming. I also walk to work whenever I can (about 30-40 mins brisk walking each way). 

Most of my body is in good shape - I have virtually no excessive fat on my arms, legs or stomach (just working on toning up). Fully clothed I have a great figure, or so people say. I get comments like 'you don't need to work out!'... then they see me in a bikini and are shocked because I have such a flabby bum! It's literally just fat hanging there. If you poke it it's just soft - no muscle tone whatsoever unless I tense my muscles, then it's a bit better.

I'm determined to sort this out but know you can't spot reduce fat. So if I want on a low-fat, weight-loss diet etc I'd surely lose weight all over and get scrawny! 

So what can I do, other than resort to liposuction!? I'd really rather not go down that route but I don't know what I can do... any advice?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

J

19/08/2012 at 21:23

Barbell squats, low reps with heavy weight - they'll work your glutes and sort them out.

19/08/2012 at 23:24

Here's a blog article by Physio Tom Goom (he posts often on these forums) that might be useful:

http://www.running-physio.com/glutemed/

I've been doing the side-lying abduction exercises for eight weeks and can definietly feel my glutes as having got stronger. I've basically just been doing these, and also some 'bridges'. I tried single limb squats but my hamstrings stiffen too much and then I can't run, but they might be useful for you. I will try them again in a few weeks.

Some other articles say that as side-lying abduction is not a 'functional' exercise for running (ie lying on your side and raising your leg up is biomechanically different from exercising in a running-type position), but I don't believe that - I haven't run much for the last couple of months due to various injuries but I haven't lost any pace that I can see, and feel myself driving forward quite well even at the end of longer runs. I am sure these glute exercises have helped with this. And you can do them while watching TV.

Good luck!

20/08/2012 at 00:07

I should point out that Tom's article mentions post-injury rehab a lot, but even if you are not injured they are great exercises to start increasing the size of weak glutes. And also you can do the single limb squat/single leg reach with added dumbells once you have developed some strength (initially I went straight into doing them with dumbells and I crippled my back and hamstrings, but you might be fit enough already if you work out a lot).

20/08/2012 at 09:17
Squats (weighted or otherwise) are great arse-toners.

The stair-master machine in the gym has a programme that targets the glutes: just make sure you're not using your hands on the rail to support much of your bodyweight.
24/08/2012 at 22:26

Thanks for the advice guys, will have a go and report back!

27/08/2012 at 18:19

Weighted lunges. One-legged squats: squat down as far as you can then jump up on that leg. Butt killah.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.