How to fix my glutes/knee?!

3 messages
02/04/2013 at 21:29

Hi all!

I've made a couple of stupid running mistakes recently, and am trying to get back on track. Would really appreciate some guidance!

I did my first half marathon a month ago on a bad knee - after about 5 miles it really hurt to the point where I couldn't put weight on it for a while. I (stupidly) soldiered on through the pain, sometimes running with a straight leg (especially down hill), but by the end my hip/glutes were really hurting - I guess they were taking the strain that my knee couldn't!!

So now I'm left with sore glutes (tender to the touch), and a knee that keeps hurting if I even slightly twist it. I've not been running since as I don't want to make it worse, but I'm at a loss at what to do about it....do I stretch? If so, how? Or do I strengthen? Buy new shoes?

Help!!!

04/04/2013 at 21:57

OK, never mind then. I will keep stretching and hope for the best....

06/04/2013 at 09:52
Hiya,

I have a simular problem tight hip/groin area which has really affected my knee.

I'm seeing a physio who says I have tight hip flexors, weak medial glutes which has now caused ligament inflammation on my knee.

I'm doing hip flexor stretchs three times a day (have a look on youtube) and to strengthen the glutes I have a Band (think yoga) that I put around my ankles and push my leg out - might have to look up that as well my description is useless!

Hope that helps

Katy

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.