I keep collapsing

181 to 200 of 1,105 messages
25/04/2008 at 21:19
Urrrgh!  'haven't'.  
28/04/2008 at 09:41

Lorra and Douglas

Hope you are both well at the mo.

have you tried those microwavable  wheat bags for the achy arms?

28/04/2008 at 17:12

Hi Walktallkate,

I'm on 2 hourly pills alternating Nurafen with Paracetamol plus 6 hourly micro-wavable hot bag issued by the hospital. I'm also on some special cream. My arm looks like it's been burnt, which, I suspect, in a way it has been.

There has been talk of putting the next load of chemo in via a different method. This will be in 10 days time. I'm also going to ask if they can give me some Valium-type drug to calm me down after my double dose.

However these are all minor irritations compared to what others seem to suffer.

I'm being very careful on the exercise. It's better to give those white cells every chance to recover. There is no way that I ever want another bone marrow jab!

Lorra, you're doing really well. Be careful on the running. This is a time for healing and the chemo, altho' a life-saver, is also a poison. Good luck.

All the best,

Douglas

29/04/2008 at 20:49

((((((((((((((((Lorra and Douglas)))))))))))))))))

Just want to offer you both my support.

30/04/2008 at 10:29

I agree with Tinywhitevan.   You are both in my thoughts.

Also, a very good friend of mine of 28  years old, has been diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma and she is wired up to the chemo drip for 24/7 for an entire week in hospital and then two weeks off and then back in hospital for another week.  I will get her to have a look at this forum since it is inspirational to everyone no matter what their state of health.  Keep strong Douglas and Lorra x x

01/05/2008 at 13:07

Hope that the arm is feeling better now, Douglas.

Marge, sending lots of positive vibes for your friend too.

02/05/2008 at 11:40

Hi folks,

Despite a continuing sore arm (it's being gnawed at by ants from the inside), I'm in good spirits..

I saw my oncologist yesterday. I have a scan booked for just under 3 weeks time. There will be three possible outcomes:

a) The tumour(s) have totally disappeared, in which case they will cease treatment and, apart from routine checkups, send me on my way

b) There are remnants of tumour(s) still visible, in which case I will have cycle 7 and possibly cycle 8

c) There is still a modest tumour, in which case I will have a break from chemotherapy before starting again at cycle 1.

All of these options have potential positive outcomes and, at time of writing, I'm fairly chilled (apart from the ants, which are making me grumpy). The oncologist confirmed that the lung cancer statistics are fairly horrendous (93% dead within 5 years!), but that I have a reasonable chance of being in the 7%.

Hurrah for losing once voice; I thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks again for your support folks.

Edited: 02/05/2008 at 11:42
03/05/2008 at 07:45
I know it can,t be easy but I,m sure keeping your positive attitude is playing a big part in your treatment.Let,s hope the scan shows you,re in the 7%.Best of luck and loads of positive vibes from me and I,m sure everyone else on the forum.
03/05/2008 at 08:05
Haven't popped into the thread for awhile. Just caught up and wishing you both the best.
03/05/2008 at 08:12
Hello Douglas!

Sorry to hear about the ants - I had a bizarre reaction to a psoriasis cream that had a similar feeling! Well, here's to you being in the lucky 7 - everyone here is right behind you. Best wishes hon!
03/05/2008 at 08:14

Thinking of you guys

Jim, one day you and i will HAVE to meet

03/05/2008 at 09:02
fingers crossed for option 1!
11/05/2008 at 07:57

Everyone seems to react to chemo slightly differently. I've been very lucky with the more uncomfortable side-effects, but my white blood cells seem to be taking the flak.

I had a white blood cell count of 1.07, which is a partial fail. Less than 1.0 is a total fail and 1.5 is the line between partial fail and pass. I was given the option of the first dose of cycle 6 being a half dose or waiting a week and trying again with the possibility of having a full dose.

I reckoned that the half dose option might give me more white blood cell issues when it came to the second dose of cycle 6. I could end up have a half dose on both of the cycle 6 treatments, which to my mind would be a bad thing.

Last time I failed the white blood cell count with a score of 0.7 and exactly a week later it was a magnificent 2.8, which is way over the pass mark.

Accordingly I chose the "wait a week and get a full dose" option. This delays the CT scan and the BIG meeting by a week, but I'm thinking of the long term. What's a week in the big picture?

All this stop/start chemo shows what a logistic nightmare treating cancer patients must be. The hospital administrator has all his diaries, schedules and charts neatly filled in and then the pesky patients muck it all up by failing their blood tests!

Now that I'm potentially nearing the end of treatment I'm starting to get impatient. I want to get out and run in the sun.

Thanks for your support folks.

11/05/2008 at 13:42
fingers crossed douglas
11/05/2008 at 16:25

Go neutrophils GO !   Divide and conquer..............

11/05/2008 at 18:44

Got my third chemo tomorrow and then half-way through  Already starting to worry but everything should be OK - Got my tranquilsers at the ready. Lost most of my hair so went out and bought blonde shoulder length wig for bit of fun as my hair was light brown and very short. A lot of people don't recognise me at first!

Have managed a bit of running but I am lacking a bit of energy. Been researching diet and chemo and I'm sure this has helped. Carrot juice supposed to be very good post chemo and to my surprise found I quite like the taste.

Lets look forward to late summer running with no chemo chemicals and steroids. 

Hope your white blood cell count is multiplying Doug and that the end of treatment is in sight. Let me know what it feels like to get the last one ticked off the list        

Dustboy    pirate
11/05/2008 at 23:24
Can't really add much but OMG you lot are brave.
12/05/2008 at 06:57

Lorra - I love the bit about the wig. You go girl!

Douglas - this is I guess where you miss out - no wigs to play with, well I suppose you could........... 

12/05/2008 at 09:34

............wear a chest wig?

12/05/2008 at 14:33

Fell into this forum last night and wanted to add something but couldn't find the words. Suffice to say it has been on my mind all day.... its a very powerful forum. And very special. I am full of admiration for Douglas, and all who have been through his experience or similar, and to the support they are getting on these pages from all of you. I'd like to think that the rest of the population was as warm hearted as I have always suspected runners to be. What is it about this sport that brings out or attracts the best in you? Cat 

181 to 200 of 1,105 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump  

RW Forums