I keep collapsing

81 to 100 of 1,101 messages
27/02/2008 at 09:28

Doug, i am sure your counts will have bounced up on Friday , dont worry about the means they have to boost your counts. they will only give you that if you really need it because its very expensive stuff ! 

That will be why they are being cagey, not because it is in any way unpleasant for you.

best of luck (and everything else that might help)

Kate

LIVERBIRD    pirate
27/02/2008 at 09:37

tinebeest, thanks for the explanation!

Come on Doug! You deserve the boosting stuff because of your positive nature! And we want to see you running!

27/02/2008 at 10:05

I was just having a browse and caught up on this thread and followed it out of nosiness (I call it interest....). Got to say Doug I was shocked but you are a massive inspiration to many and I am in awe of your PMA.

Good luck and here's to 2009!

x

27/02/2008 at 18:26
Hey DJ. Another nosey forumite here. Good to hear that you are staying positive. Chemo must be pretty tedious stuff, so great that you have plans for what to do afterwards. I look forward to hearing how FLM 2009 goes for you! I just finished reading Lance Armstrong's first book this afternoon - It's not about the bike. I know it's been out for ages, but if you've not read it - I really recommend it. I'm sure you've had it up to your eye-teeth with stuff about cancer - but it's one hell of a read - his cancer was quite advanced when diagnosed and he had some metastases in his brain and lungs.... and we all know what he did after chemo. It just goes to show that it's possible to be *dangerously* fit after cancer. I just know you're going to have a blast in London in 2009. J xx
29/02/2008 at 07:59
so good luck with the bloods today!
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
29/02/2008 at 08:24

good luck for today DJ - I'm sure you'll be fine!

29/02/2008 at 08:40
Good luck today Doug, can you phone a freind if the exam's too difficult??
29/02/2008 at 17:00

Well I squeaked past the test with a gnat's whisker to spare and a mark of 1.44.  

However, because I only scraped past the test, they're giving me a white blood cell booster tomorrow. Walktallkate is right about the cost. The single jab tomorrow is a £1,000! It's meant to stimulate the bone marrow into great spurts of activity.

I got to the hospital at 8.30am and theylet me out around 4pm after having my full dose of life-saving chemo. The chemo drug is covered in a black plastic bag as it's light sensitive. They have a special sterile room at the hospital to make these chemo drugs and they actually make my chemo drug on the morning once they know that I've passed my test. The whole process is quite labour intensive when you take into account how many people are involved. It's quite humbling when I think how many dedicated professionals are involved in my care............and all because I smoked albeit a long time ago.

I love having my chemo, because it's what will save my life.

I've been chatting to the nurses. I get the impression that cancer patients come in two types; there are people like me who want to know very little about the disease and treatment and there are patients who want to know everything.

When it was thought that I had "heart" problem, I was an avid googler of all things relating to the heart. I discovered that I knew very little and th the more I discovered on google, the less I actually knew. By the time I was actually diagnosed with cancer I had come to the conclusion that (for me) a little bit of knowledge in a lay person's hands is a dangerous thing and can mess with one's head.

I guess everyone has to make there own decision about how much to learn about their illness.

Thanks again for all your support.

29/02/2008 at 17:05
Great going, Doug, will be thinking of you tomorrow.
29/02/2008 at 17:15
One of my friends has a golden rule: never google your illness. You're very right about a little bit of knowledge in a lay person's hands and head.

Glad to hear you passed Good luck with the jab tomorrow, hope it does the trick! And there is no price to health, not even if they say it's costing £1000 a jab
29/02/2008 at 23:09

Excellent!

Go for it. 

29/02/2008 at 23:11

You are WORTH it

01/03/2008 at 08:56

It's amazing how intricate and expensive the process is to save a life isn't it

Hippo is right. 

LIVERBIRD    pirate
01/03/2008 at 11:16

My doctor is very worried about Googling illnesses, as people go to his surgery and tell him what they've got, what he needs to do and what drugs they will need him to prescribe!

Whilst some of the info online is no doubt accurate, some is very spurious indeed and it is always going to be difficult to determine the wheat from the chaff, without the benefit of the medical degree that you went to see the doctor for in the first place!

Super news you you got the full dose, Doug. Now keep well and let us know how you're doing. If the whole premise of the NHS is that people should be able to access the care they need free of charge, then you shouldn't worry about the cost. I would bet my mortgage that nobody on this thread begrudges someone like you their tax pounds.

Life is precious and people like you deserve every last bit of help that science can offer. So accept their expertise, our best wishes and prayers and carry on doing what you're doing! When you're well, you should get RW to do an article!

01/03/2008 at 11:47

Doug, you're worth it!

As a random aside - last time I went to the doctors, my GP googled my symptoms right there in front of me....

Not quite what I was expecting!

01/03/2008 at 13:24

I would far prefer my hard earned money being spent on saving lives, rather than to fund the cigarettes and alcohol brought with DSS money.  Its a shame we cant put more money into health care.  If £1000 goes on saving a life, then I am for this every time.  I cannot think of a better way to spend money, than putting it towards saving precious life.

Edited: 01/03/2008 at 13:25
01/03/2008 at 16:46
Great news Doug, you are in inspiration to us all. Big hugs all round!!!
01/03/2008 at 17:06

I love the NHS (despite its faults.)  That expensive injection has probably saved many lives as it enables courses of chemo to continue to be given by avoiding delays to treatment caused by neutropenia ( dangerously low white cell count). The white blood cells come in handy too !

Googling symptoms, ok under either of the following conditions

a - you are sufficiently qualified or sceptically minded to identify quack websites and proper researched information.

b - you are actively trying to scare yourself silly

01/03/2008 at 17:12

lol WTK - that is very true

Internet is brilliant - and a pain in the backside - so much useful stuff and so much rubbish

Im really glad its going OK for you Doug (((doug)))

02/03/2008 at 07:39

I've only just spotted this thread.

Wow!!! What a fantastic "kick ass" attitude you have Doug.

All the very very best. 

81 to 100 of 1,101 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.