I keep collapsing

121 to 140 of 1,101 messages
13/03/2008 at 17:10

Good luck Lorra and keep strong.  I wish you every ounce of luck with coming out on top and winning. x

15/03/2008 at 06:49

Lorra,

I've been told that indoor biking is OK, but best to leave the outdoor biking until the weather warms up. Even though I'm only doing a maximum of 30 minutes at a time (max HR about 125), I'm concentrating on keeping my form and I go up and down between 90 and 110 rpm albeit only at levels 1 or 2. I'm not caning it.

I'm not running at all at the moment, because, by running in my present state, I'll be teaching my body to run slowly,which I don't want.

When my arms allow (the canula is starting to give the veins in my lower arms substantial grief), I do a bit of upper body work and core work. It's not much, but it keeps my body from totally forgetting what it's all about.

My chemotherapy will probably finish in June as they're extending my break periods due to my poor reaction tothe bone marrow jab.

Good luck,

Douglas

LIVERBIRD    pirate
15/03/2008 at 08:48

Douglas,

It's always difficult to know what to say without it sounding wrong, but you should know from the viewing figures on this thread that people are willing you to get better. Who cares if it's level one or two on the bike? The important thing is that you are able to do it at all. You know your capabilities and hopefully you know when to rest.

I didn't know that the body learns to run slowly. Must be where I went wrong!

God bless and sending you best wishes!

15/03/2008 at 10:25

Douglas, Lorra

Well done, keep up the good work.I,m sure your positive attitude is helping.

15/03/2008 at 15:20

Douglas

I am not one for reading threads, blogs and all the other wonderful things that go on in cyberspace but your one really shows me how much wonderful support, advice and caring people can receive through sharing their experiences in this way.  It is truly inspirational and I hope that as well as helping you and your PMA it gives everyone a boost especially Lorra, slow runners, fast runners, new runners, swimmers, bikers and all those who take some form of exercise as part of their life.

Gina x

18/03/2008 at 17:49

Hi folks,

Well, I'm exactly halfway through initial plan of chemotherapy. On the day after tomorrow I have another double dose (as always, subject to passing blood test).

This dose should be OK as my right arm is still in good working order. The veins in my left arm have gone all funny and there's no way that anyone could stick a cannula into them. I'm curious as to what they'll do if my right arm goes wonky as well.

Onto running slowly........................... I'm a member of a small running group and we employ a South African trainer/coach to help us. We spend a fair amount of time practicing good running form.

One of his mantras is that running is "controlled falling". Stand on one leg and raise the other leg so that thigh is parallel to ground. Lean slightly forward; you will start to topple and you'll have to lower the raised leg to prevent one falling flat on one's face. That, I am told, is the mechanics of running. I believe that this is a variation on the "Pose" method of running, which is a whole subject in itself and some people don't agree with it. Any views?

Popular trick question by our coach:

Q. How many legs does one run on?

A. One

Another trick question (usually asked after running question):

Q. How many arms does one swim front crawl with?

A. Two

Most of our group are now getting the answers to these two questions right, though it has taken some time!

Keep well everyone,

Douglas

aka Leaping Wolf

Edited: 18/03/2008 at 17:58
18/03/2008 at 20:53

now I'm really confused.

I hope you go on ok this week with the chemo Douglas. keeping the arms nice and warm during administration of the drugs may help the veins. also, make sure you are well hydrated. the theory behind this advice is to ensure that the nasty chemicals join a brisk bloodflow in a nice big vein, thereby not spending too much time hanging around irritating the vessel wall.

good luck

Kate

18/03/2008 at 22:04
Half way now, and you're doing great! Between your PMA and everyones best wishes on the forum, the FLM 2009 will be a doddle for you. Good luck, keep smiling, and remember we're behind you every step of the way!
18/03/2008 at 22:13

Doug - hope it goes OK, sounds like you are doing great!  WTK is talking good advice.  Re veins, don't worry, try and keep them going, but there are ways around it, so don't worry about it

(((DJ)))

19/03/2008 at 06:26
Didn,t have your problem myself Douglas as I had a pemanent line in the vein for six months,but the people who had chemo at the same time as me were given a bowl of hot water to put their hand in before the canula was put in.may be worth a try.
19/03/2008 at 06:30

Half way? that means that it's downhill all the way from here!

I echo the comments about veins. There are ways round the situation if neccessary if needed so don't sweat it.

Wishing you well for this week's treatment.

19/03/2008 at 09:49
Good luck for tomororow xxx
19/03/2008 at 10:03

My first post here, but about my milliionth lurk!!!

Good luck for tomorrow Douglas - think of it has the mid-point in a run, you're home the home straight now

Re: the 'falling over' to run forwards thing...
I teach people to regain their walking skills, preferably without limping [never mastered it myself though!] and that is exactly how I help them understand that it's OK to take that first wobbling, terrifying step - walking IS a controlled falling forwards.

Thanks for being so inspiring Douglas - it's a priviledge to read your thread.
Limps x

19/03/2008 at 10:04

Should read "you're ON the home straight now"

Doh

20/03/2008 at 19:55

Well that's the first dose of the fourth (out of six) cycle done. They've lowered the injected steroid dose by 50% and I'm only to take the Dexamethasone (another steroid) if feeling nauseous. I'm hoping to rely on Granisetron and Metoclopramide for nausea and Voltarol for wonky veins.

These steroids are not pleasant to take. If you read a book, you want to watch a film; if you watch a film, you want to talk to people; if you talk to people, you want to have a nap; if you have a nap, you want to read a book. Basically whatever you'e doing, you last about a minute before deciding that you want to do something else. It's a very weird feeling, though easier to cope with if one understands that it's only the steroids. It's also pretty mild compared to what some people have to go through whilst having chemotherapy.

Thanks WTK and Slugsta for the advice on veins. It may be coincidence but, on my pre-wonky vein chemo session, I had reduced dose of post-chemo saline (it was a new nurse).

I made sure that I had the full post-chemo saline this time and actually had an extra half bag to be on the safe side.

I also continue to be grateful that I haven't had to have surgery or radiotherapy. Towards the end of 2007 and pre-collapsing, I said to myself that 2007 was one of the best years of my life. Because I was diagnosed in 2007, I stand by that statement. If I hadn't started to collapse etc, my lung cancer would have been undiagnosed until a much later date and the prognosis might well have been a lot worse.

Three cheers for collapsing and losing one's voice.

Thanks again for all your support.

Douglas

20/03/2008 at 20:05

((((((Douglas)))))))

I'm thinking of you a lot .   Get some R&R over the weekend and relax as much as the steroids will allow!

Jiggi xxx 

20/03/2008 at 21:05

Douglas

I love your description of what it is like to be on steroids, .

hope the veins are better this time.

Kate

22/03/2008 at 14:55
Yay another dose done and dusted! Big hugs from me and my fellow Cumbrian running buddies, have a nice weekend Douglas
22/03/2008 at 17:15

Have a good Easter, Doug and everyone

Keep smiling

26/03/2008 at 12:03

Just dropping in to say "keep well" to Douglas, and to Lorra if you are lurking here.

keep in touch

k

121 to 140 of 1,101 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.