I know I'm the 1000th person to ask, but...

After a sprained ankle

21 to 34 of 34 messages
16/04/2007 at 22:04
Looks like I am one of this group aswell but here's my story. As you read it think of Simon Bates Radio 1 show / song...no tears please!

After a injury plaged last 6 years i'm back posting on here for some advice and guidance

Ok the last injury was when i went over on my ankle in June 2005....Xrays showed not breaks/cracks but was badly swollen...the swelling is very small now and i still cant sit down and put pressure on my outside ankle bone its still painful

The hospital would not give me crutches and suggested i put weight on as quickly as possible to recover quicker. I'm sure this was bad advice but im no doctor

My balance & stability was poor. I used a balance mat to get some of it back.
Tried running again in the November lasted 2 weeks then i started to get shooting burning pain on the inside of the ankle just below...I rested and eventually it went. All the time my ankle around the outside of the joint has been stiff and still throbs...accupunture helped for a while.

So now for the update. I went running last week for 30 mins easy. Felt ok but the next day i bent down and got a almighty pain again under the inside of the ankle. Felt like ripping to pieces of cloth. Ive had this now for 3 weeks and each time i bend down / move the foot it happens..I have strapped the foot and stopped bending down. I also iced it but that made the pain worse. I can walk ok but feel I have done some serious and perhaps I should have an xray and scan again.

Any ideas what this is? Is it the tendon or archilles?...how can i get rid of this problem and also my ankle still has a dull throbbing pain around the outside of the joint. I do some stretches maybe not enough.

Any help would be appreciated. I wont go into detail about my other long standing problems pain under both arches...I am seeing my consultant about this tomorrow morning and the podiatist PM to try orthotics again and re-analyse my walking / running gait

please reply thanks
Sky
21/05/2007 at 18:23
Hi there,
Advice needed please. I am a teaching assistant and fell off a table trying to reach something off a top shelf for a child - sober as a judge (not that they all are I suspect) last year which resulted in a torn ligament - well that's what the doctor said anyway . . .
Well this year I've lost nearly 4 stone and started running with a friend. We're doing the 'Race for Life' in 3 weeks time and I know it's only 3 1/2 miles but even so . . . I have sustained an ankle injury (probably reacurring - see above)through the training and I'm in agony. Not only through the injury itself but through actually not being able to run for a week. We only run 3/4 times weekly and approx 4 miles a go.
I have taken it upon myself to treat this with ibuprofen (anti-inflamitory) and diclofenac spray. This has not worked at all and now I'm struggling with everything. I want to run as it means I can eat what I like (in moderation) and have a happy and slim life! I also don't want to let my running partner down.

Please, PLEASE help me with a solution . . .
I have a docs appointment this Thurs but he'll only tell me to rest it won't he!!!

This won't do at all - Aaaargh
21/05/2007 at 19:57
Not an expert but I would say rest it as much as you can before the RFL, you sound fit enough to be able to get round without much of a problem. A hot water bottle increases bloodflow to the area and an pack reduces the swelling.

In the meantime how about going swimming or using the gym to exercise the non-injured leg muscles. If you push yourself on an injury, as I did previous Sunday, then it takes much longer to recover.

28/06/2007 at 00:09
I "went over" on my left ankle about 8 weeks ago, attended at the hospital with all the usual severe swelling etc. I was told it wasn`t broken and told to rest. I still cant run as there is pain shooting up both the inside and outside of my ankle. I can walk normally although after a while my ankle does begin to throb. I still have swelling to the outside of the ankle which funny enough is not "soft" the way swelling should be, it feel hard like bone.......Anyone got any ideas?
28/06/2007 at 14:02
Noddyploddy, recovery depends on the severity of your sprain and the amount of fibres damaged.

Swelling may be scar tissue, so I would get to a sports physio to address that because swelling is the number one enemy in healing (prevents full range of motiion).

In the meantime try to regularly write the alphabet with your big toe, point toes and pull toes towards shin to stretch it. When resting put foot up higher than hip level. Work on balance exercises too for nerver re-education.
Sky
28/06/2007 at 19:32
Hi Jaybird,
I'm not a proffessional runner by any means but one such person did help me with my ankle sprain. He / She sent me a link to this website

http://www.return2fitness.co.uk/Supports_And_Braces/Ankle_Supports/md101ankle

where I bought this ankle brace. . . . It's marvelous! I still had aches when I ran but I did continue to run (just short distances) and packed my foot with ice on my return . . Whilst crying with the pain. I'm not joking. Gradually after 2 weeks I had no pain and was able to wake up in the morning and once again spring out on my run. I continue to wear the brace while running as support but no longer wear it all day, as I did in the beginning.

Hope this helps.
Sky x
13/12/2011 at 22:12
hii all ....i just wanted to ask a question ???...i sprained my ankle four weeks ago and my injurie was at the deltoid ligament or (medial malleolus) because i had an eversion sprain on my ankle and i think it was a little tear but at the begining of 2 weeks it was so difficult to run, jog or bend ...now my ankle seems okkk but it is so weak and when i run doesnt hurt me but while im running when i take a quick turn( left or right) it hurts me a little and i cant bend all my ankle...same thing when i sprint too ...my question is:::: IS MY ANKLE SO STRONG TO SUPPORT A 90 MIN. GAME BECASUSE I PLAY SOCCER AND I NEED TO GO ON THE PITCH QUICKLY......AND WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO TO TREAT 100 % MY ANKLE ....PLEASEEEEE HELLPPP MEEE..????
14/12/2011 at 13:31

Hi Silver Golden,

One of the best sites to check out is the Sports Injury Clinic as I always get good information from there when advising my players from my own football team.  I've also had a bad grade 3 injury many moons ago and some of the exercises they advise you to do on this site are more or less what I carried out, once the plaster came off, on advise of my physio.

The wobble board is a really good rehabilitation piece of equipment.

One of the other strengthing exercises I did was to use a bench, that you normally get in the school or some sturdy box, stand facing it so it's in front of and then place the injured foot on it, your other foot should still be on the floor and then from their push up, with the foot that's on the floor and then without touching the bench you kind of step over the bench and place your foot on the floor on the other side of the bench and then back and that counts as one rep, you should be able to complete 10 reps and then change foot and work your good ankle.

This worked for me along with other exercises, however, I need to stress that I'm not a medical trained person but I have suffered many injuries and have managed to keep a good knowledge of what works and do try to pass on anything that I've gained in my experience, so don't send the lawyers around if it doesn't work.

Any way I hope you're back playing soon.

08/02/2012 at 11:41
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><!--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <woNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-MY</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>ZH-CN</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <wontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <mmallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><!--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Parag
08/02/2012 at 11:42
Good day to all readers,
I had a serious sprain on my right ankle during a basketball game when I was 13 years old, and I immediately wrapped with ice to prevent any further swelling. After that I wrapped the ankle with warm towel and massage the ankle for few weeks. After a few months I continued playing basketball without any pain. After a few months I sprained the same ankle during a basketball match and after that during the years I sprained the same ankle. I am still playing basketball but without spraining my ankle for the past 2 years. I got interested in football after slowing down basketball although I am still playing. I have been coached for football and every time I kick the ball even with the correct technic, the ankle pains like having a sprain but after resting the ankle for 20-30 minutes and I continue to kick the ball the pain comes back again and it is so frustrating and the pain is unbearable. I have seen a doctor and taken an x-ray but the x-ray shows nothing and the doctor tells me that it is better if I stop playing football. Are there any exercises that I can do to strengthen my ankle muscle?
29/03/2012 at 10:17

I've been training for a 10k and the race is on Sunday (in 3 days). I've been getting myself in best condition possible and excited about the race. Then yesterday I was walking along the pavement (in smart work attire, not training) and somehow managed to be ultra clumsy and trip on a kerb and go over on my ankle. Of all weeks to happen - pretty annoyed.

I had some fairly intense pain in the evening which thankfully died down with some RICE and ibroprufen. This morning it doesn't feel too bad to walk on, but any side to side movements of the ankle is a sharp pain.

My hope is if I avoid doing any more training now and just rest it I might be okay for Sunday. If its still sore, does anyone find strapping up the ankle helps? Anyone else had a similar incident?

02/06/2012 at 21:31
How did the race go James? I just did the same thing... Same symptoms... Similar race time pressures... Do-able?
16/12/2012 at 20:10

Hello,

I don't know if anyone still reads this thread, but it has been really helpful. If anyone has any help they could offer me or advice, I would be really grateful...

I think I sprained my ankle 3 weeks ago. Self-inflicted - I stood on tip-toes, lent over to the right for 2 hours (at a gig...I am short and couldn't see!). 2 days later I went for a run and 3 miles in had searing pain in sole of foot and from ankle along outside of my foot (where ligaments are). I literally could not weight bear for 3 days, but have since slowly improved and can now walk, albeit with a bit of a limp.

I have no pain for the majority of the time, but if I stand for a long time or walk for more than 20 minutes, it gets sore along the right side of my foot. My ankle doesn't feel very stable and feels like it turns out (away from body) as I take each step. There is some discomfort and general ache in the ankle area also.

I am DESPERATE to get back out running but am fearful of injuring it further. I tried a little run this week, 3 miles, but it was quite painful after. I sit with my foot raised when possible. I am using a band to do extension exercises and using a wobble board once per day (for the last 4 days).

When can I try to run? Do I wait for it to be ok to walk on first? 

Thank you for any help! 

15/01/2013 at 15:40

I sort of sprain my ankle in the dark street of uk, in combination of absent of street light in certain section, cobble stone, pacing 2 girls from behind, watching the padestrian from front. I stepped into an uneven path and kinda sprain my ankle a little.. I go on and complete my 6 miles run, did not feel much discomfort but definitely different on my ankle,

my ankle is slight swollen today, no pain but feels that i need rest.. wondering how long it would take.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.