Ice or Heat ?

5 messages
20/06/2013 at 19:53

I've been building up my mileage slowly since returning from injury and am suffering a bit with sore lower legs. I'm massaging my calf muscles and icing my shin bones which are sore to the touch. I've done a couple of races in the last 2 weeks which has made this all a bit worse. I found a can of Deep Heat which got me wondering, should I continue icing or should I use Deep Heat/Tiger Balm as well/instead ?

M...eldy    pirate
20/06/2013 at 19:56

You should address the cause  

Some say ice for a trauma .. some say ice & heat alternate, ice massage can work well but until you know what you are dealing with you will just float around in the race/injury/recovery cycle

20/06/2013 at 20:08

I think the cause is running!!  When I run more it hurts more, when I run less it hurts less 

I'm hoping its just the increase thats to blame. I've been to a Podiatrist and changed my shoes which also could be part of it I guess.  I'm going to plateau with my mileage for a few weeks to see if that helps. 

seren nos    pirate
20/06/2013 at 21:00

if you get an injury and sore3ness then ice in the first 24/48 hours to reduce infammation and damage...after that then heat and massage should help

23/06/2013 at 18:43

Ice, it's inflammation so use ice. Heat is generally used on more chronic long term pain.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.