Icing

wherefore and why

2 messages
17/01/2003 at 09:40
So my physio has advised me to "ice" my knee for 30mins each day. I have apparently a small tear to the fascia of my ITB. I have no swelling or oedema.

So, out of interest

1)what is the physiological benefit sure it goes cold but what are we trying to do - shrink tissue, pulsate blood supply.....

2) After I finish and its all cold what do I do, let it warm up in a fixed position, move around and stretch the cold tissues gently/naturally, stretch them vigorously and artificially

I know these are all questions for the Physio but it'll be a few days before I get back there and these Q's never occurred to me at the time, but I know the forum's collective knowledge will have the answers

thanks
WildWill    pirate
17/01/2003 at 10:16
Ice can be applied in a number of ways.
It should never be applied directly to the skin but in a wet tea towel to prevent ice burns.
Apply the ice for about 15 minutes every 2 hours. This will vary depending on the size of the area and depth of the tissue. This can be reduced gradually over the next 24 hours.
If you have a bad circulation condition in a specific area then you should not apply ice to that area, or if you have a cold allergy.

This can ease the pain, reduce swelling, reduce bleeding (initially) and encourage blood flow (later).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.